1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Picco, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have chickens and want another species to raise. I like coturnix quail but can't find any info on rasing them as pets. I am thinking of keeping them in a rabbit hutch type shelter attached to my coop. They would be given proper shelter but can they handle the cold winters outside in NY?

2. alaskanhenhouse

alaskanhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    well, they do ok up here in alaska but they do have a small heat sorce.

3. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Courtnix can survive outside in cages, but like rabbits, they need wind protection. If you live whre its really cold (grow zone 2 or lower) heat lamps in winter are good. Quail can be friendly, but are naturally wary of people. If you hatch eggs (I buy mine from e-bay to keep my stock fresh/at least once a year) be sure to slowly accimate quail to your area temps. Corturnix are grown in 6 weeks, and laying eggs in 7.
    I hope more people find this thread, becasue I keep white and brown quail, and would like more people to chat with about it.

[​IMG]

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Howdy! What do want to chat about Marty? We're virtually neighbors, I'm in Oklahoma...and have a few birds...always up for talking birds.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I have brown birds, white birds and splits.
    got any pics?

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I do have pics but havn't got any uploaded yet. I guess I should around to that eventually!

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a pet quail. a silkie i had hatched her out. i took her in after hatch and raised her inside. shes very tame. i can put her on the ground outside and she wont run off. and i can pick her up without her running away. she calls to me when i go outside to feed her. shes very sweet. they just need to be kept warm. protected from wind. dnt need a big cage for one or two. lays an egg everyday. eat dove food from feed store. me feed store sells it as quail and dove feed. They can handle the cold but will need like a small inclosed place to go into when real cold.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    WOW what a Beauty .Pic are realy Great...cva34

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    pretty, well cared for bird. very nice!
    beautiful and great pics to capture it.
    thanks for sharing.

10. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Nice pics. Heres a pic of the biggest and smallest quail eggs gathered a few days ago.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by