Coturnix Sexing

Willowhisp

Tarantula Lover
Oct 6, 2020
Somewhere
Can someone please help me with the difference between a male and female italian coturnix quail is. We thought we had a rooster and 2 hens but it turns out there all hens. The one in question has much darker face patterning and solid lines like the other two rooster's did.

Can someone please help me with the difference between a male and female italian coturnix quail is. We thought we had a rooster and 2 hens but it turns out there all hens. The one in question has much darker face patterning and solid lines like the other two rooster's did.
The males have little to no spots on their chests. Females have a spotted chest. Remember that this is when they are 4 weeks old.

The males have little to no spots on their chests. Females have a spotted chest. Remember that this is when they are 4 weeks old.
I got mine as adults, we had what we believed to be 3 roosters and 2 hens. One of the roosters was culled and the other passed of old age/bullying. We thought the other was a male because of the way it acted toward the males and the drastic difference in face markings *shrug*

I got mine as adults, we had what we believed to be 3 roosters and 2 hens. One of the roosters was culled and the other passed of old age/bullying. We thought the other was a male because of the way it acted toward the males and the drastic difference in face markings *shrug*
The chest spots are a giveaway for feather sexable coturnix quail varieties, behavior is not a good indicator.

Back
Top Bottom