Coturnix toenail problem

dc3085

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
While at a feed store that has a large stock of chickens and ducks, they had some coturnix for sale. I had recently finished a large new coop/run I though I would jump start filling it with some adult birds instead of waiting for the eggs to incubate. However one of the birds i bought has a problem with her toenails/feet and I want to know what I can do about it. She was the only off colored bird in the bunch and the smallest. When I got them home I notice the others pushed her out and if she found anything cool in the run they came and took it. After that I put her in a "hospital cage" with more warmth and plenty of food. She seems to be healthy (other than actually being a cull, but she's to pretty and too small to want to eat) So can I do anything for her feet, I'd rather try not to euthanize her but obviously a $4 quail is not getting a vet visit.

Edit: I raise all of my birds on sand, so she is currently in a sand filled cage and when I bought her she was in a large coop with a dirt floor.

The feed store said all of the quail are three months old, however this is the third day I have had them and no eggs out of eight hens so you have to wonder.

The feed store also said that they were feeding them 21-23% protein quail and partridge feed. I feed gamebird crumble with 28% mixed with millet or rape seed on occasion as well as some meal worms now and then.

I didn't see any calcium (i feed oyster shells) in the coop at the store either but I would assume some of the hens would be laying if he was truthful/knowledgeable about the birds age.

Last edited:
If the quail were laying, the move to a new home may have stopped the process. Generally after being relocated birds will initially lay any eggs that were in 'production' and then take a break while they adapt to their new home.

That poor girl has been kept under some rough conditions. I'd try to soak her feet in warm water to aid in removing the dirt/poop balls. I would then take a pair of dog nail clippers and gradually trim her nails back to the quick. I'd also work some antibiotic ointment (without the pain killer) into her legs.

I'll take care of that today then, I'm glad it doesn't seem major. I have never purchased live quail or relocated any of the ones i had before, I always hatched eggs and never had any physical or disease related problems (are bobcats a disease?). I appreciate the response, as my mother saw this bird and immediately became attached, I would hate for anything to happen to her. Although culling coturnix is usually a verrry tasty job ;).

Back
Top Bottom