Coturnix vs Serama bantum

I’ve had both, and found that the Serama roosters are louder, but the quail are far more chatty so the noise evens out. Quail lay more eggs, but the seramas are a little bigger. I’m not sure about this, but I think seramas need more space. Lastly, my quail were not even a little bit sociable - so if you want a pet, seramas are definitely better. Both are good in their own way ; I think it’s all about what you’re looking for.

Thank you. I've had chickens raise guineas, ducks, turkeys and pheasants years ago when I was a kid. I was pretty naive with regards to disease and temperament but we did have to remove a drake that was forcing himself on our hens with disturbing frequency and of course radically different anatomy.

The guineas and Turkeys actually adapted quite well to the mixed flock and roosted with them. The ducks had their own pen but free ranged with the other fowl.

I would love to try quail for the eggs and simply out of curiosity. I remember seeing california quail often when I was a kid and am curious about people's experience keeping them. However, I couldn't imagine having them on wire or in a cramped enclosure. Would love it if they had something more spacious and wild.

Last edited:
I have Seramas and quail. I have a special needs serama rooster with heart problems inside my house. He can't get stressed out or have to much exercise at once, because it has nearly killed him before. I have my quail outside. The button quail have a wintertime toat with a run attached to it inside my garage, since there so small. All of my coturnix quail were raised from babies so they all tolerate being handled, and some actually like being held. My Seramas are the same. I used to have some that would fly up and sit on your shoulder, but I had to sell them, because I hatched out six roosters and one hen. It's true that quail lay more eggs, but unless you have texas A&M coturnix quail you won't be getting eggs the size of a serama egg. My button quail have very unique egg colors, but they don't lay eggs every day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom