Couch to 5k - training for people new to running

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
My DBF is training for his first marathon. He turned 40 & decided to stop being overweight. Well, I'm 34, overweight, and want to have a child in the near future (when DBF becomes DH). So it's important for me to get into shape, too.

I have decided to learn how to run. And I do mean "learn". I've never been a runner and DBF's training intrigues me. I've decided to surprise him and run the last 3 miles of his marathon with him. To do that, I'm starting a "Couch to 5k" training program.

See here for more info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Anyone
interested in "learning to run" with me?

wee.gif
another newbie runner!!!

I'm off to do my very first training.
smile.png

Well, I did it: day one of the training...

DONE!! I don't have a watch so I wasn't able to do the 60-run & 90-walk routine but I did do 7 jogging stints and the rest was brisk walking.

And... at the end I walked up 146 stairs! Due to the topography of where I work, there's a great, flat trail near my office... but it's down 146 stairs (including the 33 inside my office building).

You're welcome! Join me, WoW. I need a buddy.

I feel great: no soreness, no aching joints, nothing. I did get a good workout in today. It's nice not to feel bad (DBF has been having joint & muscle problems with his marathon training).

Man I wish I had found this sooner.
barnie.gif
I am doing my first 5K this saturday for our towns annual festival. I am not a runner but my mom and sister got into running a couple of years ago and had been bugging me to try. So I signed up for this one, it is so relaxed. The gal said I could bring my stroller and run with one of my kids or bring my dog. I think I'll take my dog, He could use the exercise. I am gonna start this with ya anyway. Then maybe by the end of the summer I can jog a 5K instead of walk/run. Good Luck to you.
woot.gif
Let us know how you are doing.

I can't do any marathons or anything during track season that includes the huge River Run which is the one I would LOVE to do I did it before in 8th grade and got 6th and I improved my 2 mile time by alot since then, I can run marathons during the summer and winter that is all when its really hot or really cold
barnie.gif

I don't think my knee would let me run anymore. I'm just glad that losing weight has helped my knee. These programs can be very good. I might start in the fall, especially if I can get another 10-15 pounds off by then. Summer is here in Texas, and I don't like running in the Texas summer. Our forecast June-September is 98 daytime and 78 for the low........just too danged hot!

Good Luck, I'll be looking in on the thread to cheer you on!

Back
Top Bottom