Cough but happy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckCluck2, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    I have one 4 month old with a slight cough/sneeze. No discharge eating and drinking fine but she seems to breath with her beak slightly open. She also seems a bit pale but happy. It's been about 5 days and she hasn't gottem better or worse. No other symptoms. I gave her a dose of Polyvisol and B6 yesterday. Crop seems normal.
    Thanks

2. CluckCluck2

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    Anyone?

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I know folks say that chickens don't get colds, but I've found that some are more sensitive to environmental factors than others and yes, they can get the sniffles that resolve w/out antibiotic treatment. I use a product called VetRX, after checking to be sure there isn't a physical irritant in the nare (nostril) etc.

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Have you treated her for worms and mites. If she has no discharge from her nose, she shouldn't be breathing out her mouth. Is she stretching her neck when she coughs? That could be sign of gape worms. Sneezing could be mites. Just some ideas, hopefully not respiratory.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
  6. CluckCluck2

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois

None of the above for symptoms. I stared her and the flock on Duramyacin a few days ago just as a percaustion. I have been feeding her probiotics for a few days and today she had scrambled eggs. I have seperated her from the flock. She's funny since she runs around the house like there is nothing wrong at all. I checked her crop two days ago and I could feel grain in there. The next morning I still felt some grain so I brought her in massaged the crop and started her on the probiotics. This morning it was normal. She still coughs. I'd say once or twice every 5-10 minutes or so. I'm almost thinking she has something lodged in her throat or scratched her throat.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. CluckCluck2

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    She's still hanging in there but loosing weight and seems her feathers are falling out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by