Cough but happy

CluckCluck2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Morris, Illinois
I have one 4 month old with a slight cough/sneeze. No discharge eating and drinking fine but she seems to breath with her beak slightly open. She also seems a bit pale but happy. It's been about 5 days and she hasn't gottem better or worse. No other symptoms. I gave her a dose of Polyvisol and B6 yesterday. Crop seems normal.
Thanks

I know folks say that chickens don't get colds, but I've found that some are more sensitive to environmental factors than others and yes, they can get the sniffles that resolve w/out antibiotic treatment. I use a product called VetRX, after checking to be sure there isn't a physical irritant in the nare (nostril) etc.

Have you treated her for worms and mites. If she has no discharge from her nose, she shouldn't be breathing out her mouth. Is she stretching her neck when she coughs? That could be sign of gape worms. Sneezing could be mites. Just some ideas, hopefully not respiratory.

Do a search on Infectious Coryza. I'm hoping thats not it, but it may be.
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/infectious-coryza/

My chicks had the same symptoms as yours, and they were happy, but couldn't breath without opening it's mouth and gasping.

Have you treated her for worms and mites. If she has no discharge from her nose, she shouldn't be breathing out her mouth. Is she stretching her neck when she coughs? That could be sign of gape worms. Sneezing could be mites. Just some ideas, hopefully not respiratory.

None of the above for symptoms. I stared her and the flock on Duramyacin a few days ago just as a percaustion. I have been feeding her probiotics for a few days and today she had scrambled eggs. I have seperated her from the flock. She's funny since she runs around the house like there is nothing wrong at all. I checked her crop two days ago and I could feel grain in there. The next morning I still felt some grain so I brought her in massaged the crop and started her on the probiotics. This morning it was normal. She still coughs. I'd say once or twice every 5-10 minutes or so. I'm almost thinking she has something lodged in her throat or scratched her throat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom