Coughing and mouth breathing

Woodpigeon

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2023
Lost a chicken to similar symptoms two weeks ago, day after a neighborhood dog killed 4 of my birds. The two remaining were stressed. This one is just going down hill fast. Mouth breathing, coughing, one leg seems immobile, and her poop is clear water with bits of green. I have treated for sour crop, coccidiosis, worms, lice and with LA-200. No improvement. I'm so frustrated, I just don't understand what is going on.

Lost a chicken to similar symptoms two weeks ago, day after a neighborhood dog killed 4 of my birds. The two remaining were stressed. This one is just going down hill fast. Mouth breathing, coughing, one leg seems immobile, and her poop is clear water with bits of green. I have treated for sour crop, coccidiosis, worms, lice and with LA-200. No improvement. I'm so frustrated, I just don't understand what is going on.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you provide photos of your hen and her poop?

If she's gone through an attack, check her over for injuries and green bruising. Look through her feathers really well. Feel of her body to see if you notice anything like air accumulated under the skin.
One leg is less mobile - any indication of pain, bruising, a fracture, etc.

What does her crop feel like? Is it emptying overnight?
Do you have a history of respiratory disease in your flock?
Any symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eye, mucous or lesions inside the beak, ear infection, etc.?

Did she have worms and lice?

Work on hydration. Provide some electrolytes or vitamins in the water. See if she will eat some wet mush feed after she's drinking.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you provide photos of your hen and her poop?

If she's gone through an attack, check her over for injuries and green bruising. Look through her feathers really well. Feel of her body to see if you notice anything like air accumulated under the skin.
One leg is less mobile - any indication of pain, bruising, a fracture, etc.

What does her crop feel like? Is it emptying overnight?
Do you have a history of respiratory disease in your flock?
Any symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eye, mucous or lesions inside the beak, ear infection, etc.?

Did she have worms and lice?

Work on hydration. Provide some electrolytes or vitamins in the water. See if she will eat some wet mush feed after she's drinking.
So I looked her over and she was not injured, I think the stress of it made whatever she had before worse.
She had lice, which i treated on her and the flock.

Im sort of convinced that it's coccidiosis. I started her on Corid along with an injection of antibiotics. I'm hydrating her as best I can. I try mush too. I added a heating pad to her hospital set up which she seems to enjoy. I keep an eye on the heating pad. This same thing happened with another hen before the attack.

Attachments

• E9565D32-4C44-496D-8F56-71E0678BAD71.jpeg
    E9565D32-4C44-496D-8F56-71E0678BAD71.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 94DA3FF3-1AC2-45F6-84A7-C335A4EEEAAD.jpeg
    94DA3FF3-1AC2-45F6-84A7-C335A4EEEAAD.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 2
What's the inside of her beak look like? Does she have any yellow or white lesions, a bad stinky odor?

Coccidiosis may present in older birds if something else is weakening them. The Corid won't hurt her. I'd make sure to give for 5-7 days. It needs to be the only source of drinking water and don't add any extra vitamins/supplements containing B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

When was the last deworming?

Will look, I ve only caught glances and it looks normal. What should I do if I see lesions?

Back
Top Bottom