Coughing chicken?

Also is the respiratory illness dangerous? I just remembered that one of our orpingtons had a snotty sneeze. I tried to vacuum up the dust, but its all behind chicken wire and hardware cloth. We will begin opening the windows to he coop overnight when the weather gets better as well as removing some installation to provide extra airflow.

I will keep an eye on them. I did read that chickens could look depressed and huddled in the corner. Our chickens did do that a few days ago when we let them out in the early morning, but after It warmed up they went back to normal. Also, our eggs are still strong and sturdy. A couple of weeks ago we did have a yolk in a nesting box with shattered egg, but they probably just stepped on it. Nobody has watery eyes either. The only symptoms are a snotty sneeze. Thank you for telling me about the bronchitis. I didn't know it existed and now I have more symptoms to watch out for. Thank you. I'll update you if things get better or worse.

Also is the respiratory illness dangerous? I just remembered that one of our orpingtons had a snotty sneeze. I tried to vacuum up the dust, but its all behind chicken wire and hardware cloth. We will begin opening the windows to he coop overnight when the weather gets better as well as removing some installation to provide extra airflow.

I looked up infectious bronchitis and it says its almost 100% lethal to young chickens. Our chickens just turned a year. Is that true?

I will keep an eye on them. I did read that chickens could look depressed and huddled in the corner. Our chickens did do that a few days ago when we let them out in the early morning, but after It warmed up they went back to normal. Also, our eggs are still strong and sturdy. A couple of weeks ago we did have a yolk in a nesting box with shattered egg, but they probably just stepped on it. Nobody has watery eyes either. The only symptoms are a snotty sneeze. Thank you for telling me about the bronchitis. I didn't know it existed and now I have more symptoms to watch out for. Thank you. I'll update you if things get better or worse.
What's your temperatures like now?
If you have all your ventilation blocked off, this can cause respiratory symptoms. Open up the coop and let them have fresh air coming in and see if that makes a difference.

The temp will be high 60s today, but they will be outside. We are still in the strange season where its really nice one day and cold the second. It won't get super cold anymore. Should we remove it? I'll post a picture of the coop. Its really high up, and the chickens have a landing to sit on so they are basically outside when its opened. I tried to take a video, and the second I tried they stopped making noises. I can try again.

This is the best picture I could find right now. The roof goes out a bit and underneath is chicken wire. The other side is like this so when the cool air goes in it doesn't get trapped and just keeps a slow steady breeze. Its boarded up right now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210312-083415.png
    Screenshot_20210312-083415.png
    580 KB · Views: 3
The low tonight is 40 degrees. Opening the vent would cause to much cool wind to come in. I think cracking a few windows is what we will to until it is in the 50s overnight. I want to free the vent as soon as possible.

I got a video. Its our biggest Orpington, the one who just started this coughing. Her coughs here in the video are not as bad as some of her other ones, but I couldn't get any violent sneezing on video.

Back
Top Bottom