Coughing chicken?

I would still make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Have you picked her up and examined the right side of her face, inside her ears, inside her beak, etc.?

If she's improving on her own, then I would increase ventilation. Crack the windows and uncover some of your vents. Chickens need air flow. Often respiratory issues can be resolved when they have fresh air in their housing and droppings are cleaned up.

The only thing I found odd was her face was paler than usual. She has always been a pale faced bird, but this a just a bit paler. One of our other orpingtons turned bright white at the face a few months ago and has recovered so I'm not sure if its something to be worried about, but Ill keep an eye on it. She did have little dots around her eyes. I did see that it could be mites, but to me it looked like dirt. I'm going to free range them today and I'll check her out better then. She coughed or sneezes a bit when we let them out this morning mixed in with some yawns. I couldn't tell with her crop. I know where it is but not how to check. Do you check in the front or the sides? Our red that started this whole thing with the snotty cough has fully recovered in around 5-6 days, so I hope this blows over as well

Today we let them out to free range and cleaned their coop, took out some installation, and used a leaf blower to get rid of dust. When I pick up the Orpington she breaths out of her mouth, and when I put her down she doesn't. Does that mean anything? She is still sneezing alot

The only thing I found odd was her face was paler than usual. She has always been a pale faced bird, but this a just a bit paler. One of our other orpingtons turned bright white at the face a few months ago and has recovered so I'm not sure if its something to be worried about, but Ill keep an eye on it. She did have little dots around her eyes. I did see that it could be mites, but to me it looked like dirt. I'm going to free range them today and I'll check her out better then. She coughed or sneezes a bit when we let them out this morning mixed in with some yawns. I couldn't tell with her crop. I know where it is but not how to check. Do you check in the front or the sides? Our red that started this whole thing with the snotty cough has fully recovered in around 5-6 days, so I hope this blows over as well

Today we let them out to free range and cleaned their coop, took out some installation, and used a leaf blower to get rid of dust. When I pick up the Orpington she breaths out of her mouth, and when I put her down she doesn't. Does that mean anything? She is still sneezing alot
Open mouth breathing while being held may just be stress if she goes back to normal when you put her down.

Crop is on the right front. You should be able to feel it when she's been eating/drinking, it will fill like lump. Feel that in the morning to see that it's emptied.

her sneezing has died down today to almost not at all. I don't think one night of the vents open did it, I think it hit its peak and now its going down. Her crop seemed empty but I still am not completely sure.

her sneezing has died down today to almost not at all. I don't think one night of the vents open did it, I think it hit its peak and now its going down. Her crop seemed empty but I still am not completely sure.
Glad that is seems to be resolving on it's own.

It's o.k. you can always check the crop again.
A good way to start would be to feel her crop when she goes to roost - it should have food in it. You should be able to feel the lump on the right side of her breast. THEN go back out in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink and re-check the crop. It should be flat/empty. Sometimes doing a comparison like that is easier.

Feeling of the crop should not be painful, so don't worry about hurting her. Feel of some of your other hens just to get the hang of it and feel more comfortable checking crops.

I can tell the crop is full at night on most of our chickens. It droops down pretty well. I can tell she has a very big crop at night and a smaller one in the morning so I'm guessing stuff is passing through. We closed the vent again for tonight because we are getting 30 mph winds. It is a very quick fix so it will probably come back off in a day or two. Thank you so much for answering my questions all this time. I really appreciate it.

I can tell the crop is full at night on most of our chickens. It droops down pretty well. I can tell she has a very big crop at night and a smaller one in the morning so I'm guessing stuff is passing through. We closed the vent again for tonight because we are getting 30 mph winds. It is a very quick fix so it will probably come back off in a day or two. Thank you so much for answering my questions all this time. I really appreciate it.
If it's just smaller in the morning and doesn't feel flat (you still feel food/water in the crop) then it's not completely emptying.
Compare some other hens in the mornings too - see if you feel a difference.

Back
Top Bottom