Coughing chicken

My sick girl has been in quarantine for days. I have put the VetRx in her water and rubbed some on her chest and under her wings every day. I've kept her in the bathroom with the space heater on, with the exception of some outside play time when it was dry and warm enough. I haven't hear any coughing for a few days. I was thinking of putting her back with the others probably tomorrow because today is pretty cold and damp.

If she sounds better is she better?

Thanks for all the advice!

That depends on what was causing the cough. If it was just an environmental thing, like dust or whatever, then yes, there's no problem. However, if it was indeed a respiratory disease of some kind that she picked up then she will always be a carrier, even after she has recovered. Your other birds would have already been exposed as well. So, once she is feeling and sounding better I'd go ahead and return her to the flock. If you have any other's turn up with the same symptoms all you can do is treat them with antibiotic's as well. None of the other's may get it or they may all come down with whatever this was.

Help!! One of my hens is breathing really weird and almost coughing she's making a weird raspy noise when she seems to be breathing and she pecks at the ground and seems fine but then let's out a random little coughs, I don't know what is wrong with her? I looked down her throat to see if she was choking on something there wasn't anything she wasn't attacked by anything? Any ideas?

I heard one of my hens coughing yesterday and she sounds a little rattley. Based on what I read on the boards she most likely has a respiratory infection.  One of the posters in the past suggested Tylan. So I have been searching for it and all the ones I have found say to use it for cows and pigs only.  If I manage to find it, how do I know how much to give her?  I have never administered meds to one of my hens before.

Is there something else I should or could do for her?

Thank You!

One of my chickens had a very similar cough and we put walnut husks in their run. A couple days later their cough is gone!

Just noticed that I have a hen and a roo that are coughing today. The weather ahs been all over the place as far as temperature 60s-30s, and up and down as well as, rain, wind and snow. Then chcikens have been spending a LOT of time inside. Just wondering what I should use, and should I keep them in? Our coop is heated and stays around 50*. We also have a window for ventalation. Thanks in advance!

One of my chickens has this weird coughing noise and it almost sounds like she's choking but otherwise she seems fine and I don't know what it is please help

Last edited:
Perhaps, someone could explain how walnut shells cured the hen? Please
1f60b.png
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom