Coughing Sneezing Honking Hens

Robind15

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Central Florida
I have 26 hens. I have noticed 3 are having trouble breathing. They are sneezing and coughing. Their combs are red. They are eating drinking walking around fine. My one younger EE is quite literally heaving. Her throat looked fine compared to another normal sounding hen. What do they have and How do I cure this quickly?

Have you added any new birds lately? Do you see any bubbles or foam in eyes, or see any swelling around an eyelid? Can you feel the crop of the one who is heaving, and tell us if it is full with food and water? Then check it first thing in the morning before they eat.

If they have a respiratory disease, they could have a virus that does not respond to antibiotics. If you see eyelid swelling or bubbles in eyes, it could be MG, which may respond to Tylosin or a few other antibiotics. Also smell for a bad odor from the face.

Have you added any new birds lately? Do you see any bubbles or foam in eyes, or see any swelling around an eyelid? Can you feel the crop of the one who is heaving, and tell us if it is full with food and water? Then check it first thing in the morning before they eat.

If they have a respiratory disease, they could have a virus that does not respond to antibiotics. If you see eyelid swelling or bubbles in eyes, it could be MG, which may respond to Tylosin or a few other antibiotics. Also smell for a bad odor from the face.
Yes I have added new birds they have been here since last Monday. Everyone was fine since then. I put Vetrx around the face of the hens that sound awful. Only one had bubbles in the eyes. What is the crop? Is that the bulge on her chest?

Again how can I treat this ? Would it better if I call a vet before it spreads to other birds ?

A common avian vet will do nothing to help you. If you’re in the US, call your Department of Agriculture and request to get your hen tested for the many respiratory diseases of poultry. Unfortunately it sounds like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or also known as Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD). Sadly, there is no cure, but symptoms are treatable with antibiotics when they show up. MG positive birds will be lifetime long carriers of this MG bacteria. It’s best to keep a closed flock and do not breed to sell or giveaway any birds.

Back
Top Bottom