coughing/wheezing, only one hen in the flock, could it be gape worm?

DraigAthar

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Plainfield, NH
Here's the background:

1) What type of bird , age and weight

Gold Laced Wyandotte hen, one year old, seems normal weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Sort of a coughing or wheezing noise. About a week ago, hubby noticed her making a coughing noise that was almost a cawing, but then she stopped again after a few hours. She didn't seem to display any other symptoms at the time. Now she has a constant sort of rattle or wheeze when she breathes, and seems like a small amount of discharge from the nares. No bad smell.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Nope, not a one. All the other birds seem to be acting normally, at least for now.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Nope.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No clue.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Layer pellets, and we pasture the girls so grass and worms. Clean water daily.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Haven't checked her poop individually, I will have to watch her until she poos.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None yet.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Enclosed coop with pine shaving bedding, I change it whenever it looks poopy. Ventilation is fine, big open window on the front. Enclosed run (hardware cloth) with dirt floor, and pastured outdoors regularly in a fenced yard we move around every week or so.

I was reading some other threads on chickens coughing. I am concerned it's something like infectious bronchitis, but not sure how it could be since none of the other hens are showing symptoms. So I wondered if it could be gape worm. We live in a rural area so plenty of wild birds, especially wild turkeys in the area. And the birds do eat worms, they adore them whenever they can scratch them up. But I don't want to assume anything. Is there a way to tell if it is gape worm?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Most likely you're dealing with a respiratory disease, not gapeworm. Seperate her and give her tylan 50 injectable orally. Dosage is 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. Keep in mind that most respiratory diseases are contageous and infected birds remain carriers for life. Practice biosecurity with her.

Is it really likely to be an infectious respiratory disease if she's the only one who has been showing symptoms for a whole week? I guess I would have expected things like infectious bronchitis or laryngotracheitis to have swept through the entire flock by now. What else is in my differential diagnosis for gurgling noises in a chicken? I am standing by to cull her if it would save the rest of my flock, but I don't want to if it's not necessary.

Most likely you're dealing with a respiratory disease, not gapeworm. Seperate her and give her tylan 50 injectable orally. Dosage is 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. Keep in mind that most respiratory diseases are contageous and infected birds remain carriers for life. Practice biosecurity with her.

I have a similar situation with one of mine as well. I have a Dominique Roo about 1 year old and I noticed for the frst time today that he is wheezing and I think he coughed (almost barked) and sneezed today??

If it were gapeworm, she'd be dead by now. The only other thing would be if there's something stuck in her esophagus or crop. An eyedropper full of olive oil will either make her puke it up or pass it. Massage her neck/crop in a downward motion after giving her the olive oil.
However, something stuck in her esophagus wouldnt cause nasal discharge. There are other diseases besides the 2 you mention that come to mind such as mycoplasma diseases and coryza. Both are contageous as are most respiratory diseases. However, incubation times vary.
There are many strains of these diseases, ranging from mild to horrid symptoms.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases and a link to incubation times for certain diseases. I'd pay attention to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) In addition, there are fungal issues that could be at play as well if it's not a respiratory disease, in which case oxine should take care of it.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

I thought of coryza, but there is no odor to her breath. If it's mycoplasma, is the whole flock already infected? I read that that's pretty hard to control. Fungal issues - I can't imagine it'd be aspergillosis, I keep the coop clean, and it's been the driest spring we've had in years around here. But of course I am no expert so I only know enough to confuse matters. I'll go read both those links, thanks.

If it were gapeworm, she'd be dead by now. The only other thing would be if there's something stuck in her esophagus or crop. An eyedropper full of olive oil will either make her puke it up or pass it. Massage her neck/crop in a downward motion after giving her the olive oil.
However, something stuck in her esophagus wouldnt cause nasal discharge. There are other diseases besides the 2 you mention that come to mind such as mycoplasma diseases and coryza. Both are contageous as are most respiratory diseases. However, incubation times vary.
There are many strains of these diseases, ranging from mild to horrid symptoms.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases and a link to incubation times for certain diseases. I'd pay attention to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) In addition, there are fungal issues that could be at play as well if it's not a respiratory disease, in which case oxine should take care of it.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

I read several different websites about Mycoplasma gallisepticum, and of all the various respiratory issues this one seems to fit most with her symptoms and general behavior. I stopped by the feed store, but they didn't have any Tylan on hand. My neighbor is a vet and she said she has some doxycycline at home she could give me, would this be an appropriate treatment?

I read several different websites about Mycoplasma gallisepticum, and of all the various respiratory issues this one seems to fit most with her symptoms and general behavior. I stopped by the feed store, but they didn't have any Tylan on hand. My neighbor is a vet and she said she has some doxycycline at home she could give me, would this be an appropriate treatment?
Doxycycline is a member of the Tetracycline group of antibiotics and should help. However, resistance to the doxycycline could possibly happen, then you'd have to move on to a more potent medicine such as baytril since tylan isnt available. You can get baytril from the vet, might be costly though. So yes, start out with the doxycycline and hopefully that'll work.

Back
Top Bottom