Could a poisonous snake kill an adult chicken?

NC_Quail

Would rather be gardening
Aug 28, 2021
Raleigh, North Carolina
Today I saw my RIR hen eat a snake. She grabbed it pretty close to the head, so I dont think it bit her, but it got me thinking, would a poisonous snake bite kill a chicken? I live in the South, and we have copperheads, cottonmouths, and a few other poisonous snake species i believe. Since a snake bite could kill a human, i assume it would kill a chicken in a heartbeat, but i know that dogs are immune, so maybe chickens are too? I don‘t think a chicken would go after an adult snake, but the little babies are still poisonous. I am also aware that snakes will kill chicks and eat eggs.

What makes you think dogs are immune to poisonous snake bites? Any warm blooded animal can suffer a bite from a poisonous snake and its consequences. Once in a while, a rattlesnake will bite a dog or cat and not release any venom if it's an adult snake with experience judging prey size, not wishing to waste venom on prey too large to swallow.

Newly hatched venomous snakes are no more poisonous than the adults, but the small fry lack experience so they are more likely to release a full load of venom into a dog, cat, human, or chicken.

Chickens are pretty sensitive to toxins of any sort, so they would probably not survive a venomous bite. A bite from a non-venomous snake isn't harmless either if the bite gets infected.

Today I saw my RIR hen eat a snake. She grabbed it pretty close to the head, so I dont think it bit her, but it got me thinking, would a poisonous snake bite kill a chicken? I live in the South, and we have copperheads, cottonmouths, and a few other poisonous snake species i believe. Since a snake bite could kill a human, i assume it would kill a chicken in a heartbeat, but i know that dogs are immune, so maybe chickens are too? I don‘t think a chicken would go after an adult snake, but the little babies are still poisonous. I am also aware that snakes will kill chicks and eat eggs.
My husband just killed a copperhead in our chicken run this morning. So I'm interested if chickens could survive their bite. Are dogs really immune to their bites?

What makes you think dogs are immune to poisonous snake bites?
I have never heard of dogs being immune.
Newly hatched venomous snakes are no more poisonous than the adults, but the small fry lack experience so they are more likely to release a full load of venom into a victim.
Think of them as teenage snakes.

I have never heard of dogs being immune.

Think of them as teenage snakes.
Another post said dogs were immune, darn. I have 2 dogs and always worry they'll stick their noses where they shouldn't. Behind my shed and chicken coop run is a neighbors yard overgrown w ivy . A yr ago while putting up chicken wire along a metal fence I came across a nest of copperheads. I sprayed noxious stuff under the tree roots where the nest was n sealed it w cement and havent seen one til this morning. I killed 1 in our drivway about 3 wks ago. I can't stand snakes . The black ones I know are good. Any ideas to keep them away?

Another post said dogs were immune, darn. I have 2 dogs and always worry they'll stick their noses where they shouldn't. Behind my shed and chicken coop run is a neighbors yard overgrown w ivy . A yr ago while putting up chicken wire along a metal fence I came across a nest of copperheads. I sprayed noxious stuff under the tree roots where the nest was n sealed it w cement and havent seen one til this morning. I killed 1 in our drivway about 3 wks ago. I can't stand snakes . The black ones I know are good. Any ideas to keep them away?
Those copperheads last yr crawled into the yard behind us in the ivy. And in the beginning of summer I saw my chickens lined up looking through our fence at 2 copperheads kunoodling.

I don’t think a chicken would survive a bite with venom. Cooper heads are made to produce enough venom to than find their pray and swallow whole once the toxins have taken full affect. They can harm a dog, they are lower on the venom scale as a pose to a diamond back rattle snake. But there is still a great risk and if your dog is bitten, seeking a vet is recommended. I’ve always been told to stay away from copperheads and not to mess with them. The black snakes in the south? If it’s just black and skinny, can be a black racer.

best method to keep snakes away, is keep the area clean, reduce bushes, wood piles, and try not to leave grain that would attract mice. Also, snakes will eat eggs.

https://doggysaurus.com/can-copperh...dog? It is,and where the bite on the body was.

My husband just killed a copperhead in our chicken run this morning. So I'm interested if chickens could survive their bite. Are dogs really immune to their bites?
No, dogs are not immune. Our dog was bitten in the face by a copperhead and his whole head swelled up to double size, he made it without permanent damage, but he was lucky. Copperheads dont usually kill a dog, but rattlesnakes will

Back
Top Bottom