Could chickens catch a cold from being out in the rain

Beka123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 31, 2012
It's been raining steadily here since about 9:00 this morn, I opened the pen up around 7:30 when I fed them, but all day long I've seen them out in the rain. It's only in the 60's and with this heavy rain the silkies are starting to look sopping wet, I'm sure the barred rocks are just as wet I just can't tell from all the way across the yard.... So sorry if this q is dumb but could they catch a cold or something being this wet? should I force them back into their coop and close it up?

If they're out in the rain, its because they want to be there. All kinds of tasty worms come out when it rains! Chickens spread oil over their feathers (which is why you'll see them rub their beak on the base of their tail while preening, that's where the oil gland is. If you part the feathers you'll be able to see it, kind of looks like a pimple). The oil keeps their feathers waterproofed, which keeps them warm. Your birdies will be fine, even the silkies. My chickens always look a little cleaner after playing in the rain. Good luck!

Chickens don't get sick from being in the rain. They also don't catch "colds", either. If your chicken starts sneezing or having nasal drainage you need to isolate and treat it asap.

Here in the PNW, my birds are out in the rain a lot. As I type, in fact. I don't get sick birds. Yep, they even stand around in the mud. No illness.

As long as the coop is dry and draft free, they'll be great! Your hens can get wet, but your bedding cannot...

If the bedding in the coop gets wet from the rain, even if it's not close to where they roost, you need to change out the bedding and replace it with dry bedding...(just so you know)
smile.png

Good Luck!

Ok thanks everyone! They just look so sad all soaked to the bone and dripping wet, out there looking for food... Going on the second consecutive day of rain, it hasn't rained this much since I got them in January!

Thanks too for the info on chickens in the rain...had the same question myself. I guess I underestimated their intelligence, or over estimated my own....
love this site.

As long as the coop is dry and draft free, they'll be great! Your hens can get wet, but your bedding cannot...

If the bedding in the coop gets wet from the rain, even if it's not close to where they roost, you need to change out the bedding and replace it with dry bedding...(just so you know)
smile.png

Good Luck!
Thanks again for the reminder about dry bedding as the hurricane drops inches of rain. I guess we'll be needing some extra bags !!!
smile.png

smile.png

Good Luck!

What if the coop is not draft free? I didn’t have a chance to get that done for them before I left so I guess I need to do that when I’m back. Today is the only day it rained. Do you honk they will be ok??

Back
Top Bottom