Could Comb Get Frostrostbie Tonight?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
My rooster has a fairly big comb, and today I noticed a scab fell off his comb and it was bleeding.

I have read that when rooster's combs get wet, that is often when frostbite will set in, if the temperatures are freezing.

It's been above freezing here for several nights in a row, but tonight the temperatures are predicted to dip as low as 28 degrees F, although forecasts vary widely, and some say it will be as warm as 33-34 F.

I'm wondering whether the comb being wet from the bleeding could trigger frostbite to set in at the freezing temps?

Should I keep him indoors tonight? I'd hate for him to have made it almost through the winter only to get frostbite on April 1. He was reared indoors and only recently has begun to sleep outside at night, for the past 2 weeks or so.

Thanks for your help,

Clare

If you're worried, you could coat it with some vaseline. However, unless it was getting MUCH colder, I don't think I'd worry too much!

Ooh, the latest forecast says it will get down to 28 F tonight. He's never been outside in weather that cold. Do you think I should bring him inside tonight with his rawish comb?

Well, I decided to go out and get him and bring him in for the night, since it's to get down to 28 degrees F.

It was rainy and wet here today with snow, and I wasn't sure how wet his comb got. That combined with the bloodiness had me scared, and the fact he's never stayed out all night at below freezing temps in the coop. He might not yet be acclimated because the last two weeks it has been unseasonably warm here. Today it was 30 degrees lower out, than yesterday.

Also, I worried that the hens might peck at his bloody comb in the early morning before I got out to the coop, and that because it will be cold in the morning, I didn't want to let them out as early as I normally do, since the rooster might get frostbite. Also, if I kept them all in the coop longer than normal, he might try to mate with the tiny Bantie in the coop and hurt her or scare her.

So after weighing plusses and minuses, I decided bringing him in for the night was the best bet. And the solarium muffles his crowing in the morning. And if he doesn't see the hens in the morning, he doesn't crow as much.

He was so good to come with me. Didn't peck or anything. And went right up onto his roost in the solarium. Oh, he is such a good rooster.

I just couldn't bear his comb getting frostbite if I could help it. It's so late in the season. And he's made it all through the winter with his comb so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom