Could he be a she? (10 week old silkie)

2 weeks have passed. He's now 11 weeks old. Still no crow, but I think my only crower might not be letting the other 5 cockerels crow. He's crowing like crazy.
Comb hasn't changed much. I can't tell if he has a wattle. He's still scrawny looking. Smaller than my other cockerels. Clucks are pretty high pitched.
Probably a pullet

I kept 1 and gave the others away. Half my silkies this year are that rooster's kids. He unfortunately got taken by a hawk about a moth ago.
Ah. I'm sorry. Do you free range all the time or just some time? We are making a covered run but would like to free range some of the time. I am afraid of the predator situation

Ah. I'm sorry. Do you free range all the time or just some time? We are making a covered run but would like to free range some of the time. I am afraid of the predator situation
I personally don't free range. It's safer for them that way. I also have a dog with a history of killing chickens. I don't trust her around my birds anymore. My chickens live in a covered run (and coop of course) all the time.
I have a family member that has a large coop and run and I often give them my chickens if I can't find them homes or just if they need a warmer place during winter. They occasionally free range, but only under supervision. That's also how I lost my rooster. They have a fox living in a near by forest. And hawks. No matter how much I tell them to get a net on top of the run or fix holes in the fence, they just don't care enough.

I personally don't free range. It's safer for them that way. I also have a dog with a history of killing chickens. I don't trust her around my birds anymore. My chickens live in a covered run (and coop of course) all the time.
I have a family member that has a large coop and run and I often give them my chickens if I can't find them homes or just if they need a warmer place during winter. They occasionally free range, but only under supervision. That's also how I lost my rooster. They have a fox living in a near by forest. And hawks. No matter how much I tell them to get a net on top of the run or fix holes in the fence, they just don't care enough.
That's a shame. We have fox, coyote, hawks and owls along with the usual suspects; raccoons, skunks and the like. I think I will keep them in a covered run also. We have enough room that we can make their area bigger if needed.

I think I see some streamers. He's also getting a wattle.

Attachments

• 20220727_102956.jpg
    20220727_102956.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220727_102927.jpg
    20220727_102927.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220727_102937.jpg
    20220727_102937.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom