Could I feed them vegan?

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1006353/could-i-feed-them-vegan/20#post_15582696 layout=inline]hmm I think this thread has gone a little bit off-topic, hasn't it?[/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1006353/could-i-feed-them-vegan/20#post_15582696 layout=inline]I'm pretty sure OP can raise his chickens on vegan feed if they are able to free-range to eat bugs as they would if they were living in the wild. They would probably be pretty happy that way. [/CONTENTEMBED]

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1006353/could-i-feed-them-vegan/20#post_15582696 layout=inline]Remember everyone, there are a lot of ways to do the same thing. Not every way is for everyone ;) [/CONTENTEMBED]

Well said. I think the truth is that not all humans can thrive on X diet. Both the omnivores and vegans need to realize this. Do what nurtures you and let everyone else eat in peace.

After a bit of searching I found a feed for chickens that is vegan, I don't think it is intentionally vegan but as far as I can tell it is. The only ingredient in it that I'm unsure about is dicalcium phosphate and judging on the price of the feed it is the vegan version.

Also, calm down. I'm vegan and most of you aren't there is no need for people to argue over this.

Research is a wonderful tool. Not sure what the CaCl2 + H3PO4 + 2 NaOH → CaHPO4 + 2 NaCl + 2 H2OA phosphate is for in chicken feed. It is used in many products to inhibit bad stuff (going rotten) in most anything we store or eat today. Probably better than a quarter pounder with cheese, I guess. My dog likes her once a month Burger King Junior Whopper with cheese, no condiments....and she never uses the napkin. Dumb dog.....

Hi Josh, wonderful that you're offering a home to these 'old' girls :). Can you free range them? And what will you do in the winter when English bugs have all but disappeared? Do you have compost piles - that could continue to supply you with some insects. Or have access to manure for some maggot 'farming'?

Fermenting their feed will increase the available protein and give many other benefits too.
If you can grow duckweed it's high in protein and nice healthy greens also.
Raising mealworms or maggots would provide good quality animal protein and still be part of the chickens' natural diet. If you could do it.

My feed lists fish meal as the animal protein, but soy seems to offer more in the way of amino acids.

Do you know what the hens were fed? It might take some time to adjust their diet, and depending on the factory they were in, they might be needing some extra probiotics or dietary support.

Can you get organic / non gmo feed for them? Working with big ag is working with big ag whether it's meat or grains.

I live on a farm but have to keep my birds in an enclosed run, so apart from any unhappy insect that flies in, I'm providing the food. I want them to eat as well as they can. I still buy commercial feed which I ferment, I grow duckweed and azolla for them plus veggies and I raise soldier flies. I can't buy organic or non gmo feed but am trying to source local corn and soy, and growing my own. The main issue I find is the phyto nutrients, the anti nutrients natural in most grains and seeds. Sprouting seems an option, fermenting too.

So my very long winded response to you (apologies) is to ask you to think about where you can get your best nutrition- ideally without
over the counter supplements. Chickens are monogastric omnivores. As are humans (depending).

Eating their eggs sounds good, also grind the shells and offer as a calcium source. Yoghurt would offer calcium, fat, protein and probiotics - though all can be found elsewhere if dairy doesn't work for you.

I think if you are prepared for the responsibility of caring for these creatures you'll find a creative solution that will be a great learning experience too. Free ranging as long as you can would help enormously.

Good luck! Would love to hear what you discover
1f414.png

Ancel

Back
Top Bottom