Could I make this my coop?

Predator Questions.... I know there is a thread on it... but it is related to me buying this coop.

I live in a VERY suburban neighborhood with an 8000 square foot lot... with neighbors right next door. There aren't any hills or fields where animals can "wander" into my backyard. I have not heard of any raccoon sightings either. My main worry are outdoor neighboring cats and the attraction of rats from the new source of chicken food.

Would my chickens be safe in this coop? It would be sitting on top of a concrete slab... so predators could not dig under it. Do any of you foresee any problems with it?

Also, with the introduction of food, do you think I would attract rats? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Unless they are bantams, I'm not too concerned about cats. There are a very small number of cats that would attack a full-grown chicken. Do you have feral cats wandering about in your neighborhood? Most likely well-fed, pet cats would not bother your hens.

Rats might be an issue but with no openings greater than 1x1 they will not be able to get in - and if they do, are after any food leftover by the hens.

Last edited:
We absolutely have rats that scurry along the top of the block walls that surround our yard (and all the neighboring yards). We've probably always had them, but they've definately honed in on our property since the arrival of the girls.

Although I think they are gross, and they are probably eating more food then I realize, they don't bother the hens. They only want the kitchen scraps that I've left in the coop for the hens, and probably enjoying some layer-pellets as well.

I do have an electronic rat trap that zaps a rat every couple of weeks, but we don't have an "infestation" (I don't ever see them anyway), so I'm not too worried about them. I am however, growing corn and veggies and that's when the rats come buggin! So I'll be more vigilant about setting traps to keep them off my food!!

Back
Top Bottom