Could I really be this lucky?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katoo1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    12 chicks hatched in November, 4 black, 5 blue, and 3 lavender orpingtons. 10 weeks old. 1 black and 1 lav are definitely roos. The rest? Sure look like pullets to me. The two roos are starting to get longish hairlike tailfeathers and red combs that are larger than the rest. They have not started crowing. Is it possible at this stage, that some of the rest are roos? I really was mentally prepared for some more Roos and I'm trying not to be so astoundedly delighted too soon.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Thats exciting. I think it is still possible

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Orpingtons are a bit hard for me to sex compared to a lot of the others. There's just something about them, maybe their thick feathers hiding conformation. I just don't know what it is. But even with them, at 10 weeks it's usually pretty obvious. Look at the waddles more than the comb.

It is possible that you may still have another rooster or two. I try to never rule anything out. But I once got 7 Orpingtons that were all pullets. I have not run the odds for a hatch of 12 birds, but I'd think the odds of 10 pullets out of 12 birds is probably better than 7 pullets out of 7.

There was a math whiz on the forum a few weeks back that could easily run those odds. I can't remember who that was, but it would be interesting to know, just out of curiosity.

But to me, it sounds like congratulations are in order since it seems you wanted pullets.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    The probability of 12/12 being pullets is about 2 out of 10,000. Put another way, there is a 0.02% chance that they are all pullets. Better odds than winning the lottery. You DID buy a ticket, didn't you?

edited to correct sloppy typing of numbers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The question is what are the odds of 10 out of 12 being pullets. The OP already knows there are two roosters ansd thinks the rest may be pullets.

6. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    If it turns out to be true, upon confirming those results, I would go grab some lottery tickets for sure! [​IMG]

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    About 1/1000

8. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I took another look this afternoon and besides the two I'm pretty sure are roos, only one other is showing wattles and they are smaller and lighter in color. So, I will call that one a maybe. 9 of 12 seems awesome to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by