Could i turn this shed into a chicken coop?

foxypoproxy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Madison, CT
So after recently losing my whole flock, i was planning on hatching out some chickens in the spring, around march.
Right now my coop can only fit (12 bantams) and when we first built it, we thought that we wouldn't have more chickens then that...
Recently.... chicken math is setting in.....it feels like 12 chickens just isn't enough
roll.png

We don't have alot of money(i haven't even really told my fiance that i want to expand
roll.png
) I don't think he will want to build another coop again (neither would i for that matter
tongue.gif
), so i'm trying to think of nice cheap ways to add more space.
So ive been thinking about buying a cheap shed or something, then altering it.
Then i would have 1 coop and 1 shed coop both having separate pens/runs.
I could then have 20 or so chickens and be satisfied
smile.png

I found this decently priced shed here: http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Sheds-Garages-Outdoor-Storage-Sheds-Metal/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbu95/R-100119313/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
It
seems to be big enough for what i would want but then it hit me that ventilation may be an issue
hmm.png
Its steel and i don't know what we can do if we needed to add vents or windows...
What cuts steel
hu.gif

Anyone have any ideas?

I wouldn't go metal, honestly. Hotter than heck in the sun. Just lean up against it and it will be hot metal. It wouldn't be nice for chickens, even with ventilation.

But that's just my opinion - others may have suggestions for how to utilize a metal shed.

I'd go wood or that resin stuff before I used a metal shed.

metal cutter... Should be able to get a blade for handsaw... Cut right up by the roof line.

could work, But, could be very hot in summer too, being that it is metal. I personally would go with word, so you could put in necessary windows and such.

Last edited:
Looks like it would work fine. You said you guys really don't feel like building a new coop but you could probably build something that size for half the cost. But I understand not wanting to hassle with it. A reciprocating saw with proper attachment would cut through metal just fine. Sorry you lost your flock, I don't even know what I'd do if that happened to me. Another bit of advice I always try and pass on, Habitant for Humanity supply shops are excellent for budget projects but it really does depend on location, I've heard others say it was junk. Well good luck on what you decide.

Quote:
Good point, didn't even think about that
hmm.png

Wish wooden sheds were cheaper...

I even looked on craigslist and can't find any used sheds within my price range

Yes you could make yourself a nice coop from that. As far as cutting vents you can use a sawsall with a metal blade, a pair of tin snips. or just use a drill and drill holes in it with a large bit
smile.png

I would insulate it some to lower heat in summer and hold heat in winter though. Just dont insulate anywhere the chickens can reach because they will most likely just tear it up if they can.
A little cool seal will help keep the roof insulated as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
As much as i know building another coop would be better.
Its just such a hassle.
My fiance can't do it all on his own (i'd feel bad, he works alot as it is)
We just don't have the time for a project like that.
And its hard for me to help because i have a chronic medical condition.
I managed to help last time but i'm really surprised we got it done
lau.gif

So we don't mind modifying stuff but we just can't build anything from scratch, like we did last time.

I don't know if we have any HFH shops around here but i will look into it

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds plausible.
We insulted the other coop, so we know how to do that.
Thinking that it may need alot of ventilation though...i don't want them overheating.
They will be outside most of the time though, only inside for sleeping and some of the winter.

coop fans... Keep air flow in summer to keep it cooler...make a window in the door with hardware cloth... Cut a whole, get plexiglass bigger thn the whole, put hinges on it, attach over the outside of the hole so you could open it like a cupboard door, and have hardware cloth attached inside...

Back
Top Bottom