could it be allergies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by embkm, Mar 25, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Please someone tell me no! I brought chicks from the feed store on Wed. Then on Thursday the eggs in the bator hatched, so they went in the brooder with the other chicks on Friday morning.

Well, starting Friday afternoon, I started with a headache. It gets worse, then a bit better, but hasn't gone away since then. So I am working on 6+ days of headache. I haven't had any other allergy symptoms (runny nose, itchy eyes, etc) but this really feels like a sinus headache you get from allergies.

I was thinking it might be pollen, but my DH and DD both are usually much more sensitive to pollen that I am and they have both been fine. DD brought it up joking that I was allergic to the chicks (never shown any signs of being allergic to the adults chickens) and since then the possibility just won't leave my head.

So is it possible to be allergic to these little bundles of sweetness? Or is it just a coincidence?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    What bedding do you have them on? Are they in the house with you? They put out ALOT of feather dander as they grow, that's the only difference I know of.

6 days of headache is not a good thing. Chickens or no I would call your doctor and see about getting in Pronto.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I doubt it is allergy.
    Have you ever had a migraine? If not you need to see your DR. for a check up. Headaches that last that long are not normal. Is it worse when you lay down or stand. Is it one sided? Have you bumped your head lately? I am concerned Jean

4. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    They are on puppy pads that I change everyday.

And no, I've not had migranes before, but many of the ladies in my family have. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between standing and laying down, and I'm not light-sensitive.
    More like a sinus headache that just won't go away. I've had my blood pressure checked and it is normal.

I should make a Dr appt, I just hate going. Unless it something extreme like kidney stones or broken bones (dealt with both in Nov) I can't remember the last time I went for not feeling well.

But as long as I'm not allergic to the chicks, I'm relieved... they are still too small to go outside just yet.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Sounds some like the headaches I got before having my neck worked on my a chiropractor. Two years after being in a car accident by neck started bothering me mainly with headaches. Just something to consider. [​IMG]

On the flip side -- since having my first brooder in the house (8 chicks, 4 turkey arrived March 24) I've had an itchy patch on my neck. I joked that it could be from cuddling chicks, but I really don't know. I have no sinus/nose issues with it. [​IMG]

6. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    My dh is very allergic to bird dander and gets headaches so yes it could very well be allergies. My dh doesn't realize that our chicks will be in the house for awhile when they arrive....opps did I leave that part out???[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. sm0kin

sm0kin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    the amount of dander birds put off was a complete surprize.. It has caked the heat lamp and just about everything else in the laundry room. I would say if the Chicks are the only thing that has changed in your life and your headaches started when you got them then its probly chick dander move them to a room that can at least be closed off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by