could it be worms? or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mudpaw, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I have one hen I really wonder about sometimes. She is an incredibly poor layer (as in I get an egg from her maybe once every 3 weeks to a month-she's my only blue/green egger). She seems to always have poo on her bottom...it's gross (it's been the same for months now). She is super flighty so examining her can be hard (though not impossible). She doesn't look particularly thin or act lethargic. We did have an awful wet gross spring here, but right now it's bone dry and extremely hot. She free ranges daily in a fenced yard. I've never wormed my girls...but this one makes me wonder if I should? Any ideas?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Time to worm them then...dont ya think?

3. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I guess so then. They are mostly just under a year old (some are only about 4 months). I am new to chickens (no one is my family owns any nor do I have any chicken-people friends, so I'm learning as much as I can as I go). I guess I'll go get some wormer-and a couple dozen eggs from the store to hold us over until we can eat their eggs again:(

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Start with wazine17 since this will be your first time worming. Follow the directions on the bottle. Throw the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by