1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my chick have a brain disorder?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsekrazy74, Dec 31, 2011.

1. horsekrazy74

horsekrazy74 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have a month old Japanese bantam chick, and im almost positive hes going to be a rooster, as hes like twice the size of the rest of the babies!

Well anyways, every once in awhile i will look in the cage and se him standing their bobbing his head side to side for a few moments then continues on with what hes doing. It doesn't seem to bother him a bit, I am just trying to figure out whats going on!

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
    --Katherine

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Its hard to say without pic or video but check out Wry neck and see if the symptoms match. If they do simple fix poly visol without iron(baby vitamins). If not maybe someone else will hop in and help.

3. horsekrazy74

Apr 5, 2010
    I just looked up Wry neck, but it looks like they usually bend back and weird ways.. to me.. it looks like hes dancing. [​IMG]

He will stop, bob his head side to side for maybe three seconds and then keep on eating. So strange!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Maybe he's just making the Nummy sound? "Oooh, this is GOOD feed!"

[​IMG]

5. horsekrazy74

Apr 5, 2010
    He's always the first to attack me when I pull out the dried meal worms![​IMG]

They are over a month old but are soooo tiny! We just cant put them outside except for a few hours a day when its warm!

6. horsekrazy74

Apr 5, 2010
    Anyonee????

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have a chicken with an eyesight problem. I think she's astigmatic. She doesn't do what yours does, though; she stares. If she sees something that might be food, she'll stare at it a while, same with squirrels lol.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sounds like the start of his rooster dance. He's creating his wooing methods. The first one cockerels learn is how to show the girls where to feed on the choicest treats. They practice their different calls and do a little dance to convince the girls to come see what wonderful treats he has for them.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by