could my chickens drowned?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sydney13, Sep 11, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    im planning on putting in a 300 gallon stock tank for my duck and goose to swim in. it will be buried up to ground level and their will be a stone wall around 3 sides. the other side will be open for them to go in and out and their will be a ramp. all my birds share a large run together so should be worried about my chickens walking in and not being able to get out? has anyone ever had a chicken drown?

2. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I've not had one to drown yet. I have had to save the same stupid silkie three times. Although the last time wasn't her fault our Cayuga is trying to be flock mistress and was trying her best to drown Misty by pushing her down in the water.

3. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Chickens no, chicks yes. But you need something in there so the chickens can walk out, should they happen to get in there.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i do have a ramp so they can walk out. luckily im not worried about a duck or goose drowning one of my hens. my goose doesn't allow the chickens to get to close to her water so she definitly wouldn't be dragging them in [​IMG]

5. Mishiveous

Mishiveous Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Absolutely they can drown. I use a 100 gallon stock tank as my filter. I was very careful to line the actual pond with rocks so in case a chicken fell in they could get out. It has been very successful...have had a few slips by chickens and a turkey but they were able to get out. I didn't think about the filter as a danger though as it really isn't that deep. After losing my only BR hen (I assume she exhausted herself trying to get out) I put some hardware cloth a few inches below the water line.

I would make a ledge of some sort. It has been my experience that they fall in trying to get a drink so they are always very close to the edge. It has also been my experience that they will NOT use the nice easy to get to area you designate as a chicken drinking station. They will insist on rock climbing, jumping the waterfall and drinking from the most dangerous area available. Silly chickens.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yes, chickens can drown. I had a old bathtub out side that chickens lined up on the edge to sleep, sometimes there was rain water in the bottom, but I did find a drowned chicken in their. I felt really stupid and really bad but apparently it fell down while sleeping and was too disconcerted . It literally drowned in water in warm weather it could have stood up if it had a clue.....A sad by true story. We turned over the bathtub....Accidents can and do happen. I attest to that!

7. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    Yes They Can Drown, We Had 2 Phesants Drown And 3 Chickens,

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I've had chickens drown in a stock tank. The feathers get waterlogged & they're helpless. I now have low tanks with stepping stones, incase they fall in. I keep several around, so the horses have plenty too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by