Could my hens have a disease ?

CopleyChickens

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
It is the end of June, and my son’s 5 hens haven’t laid any eggs for months.
Very occasionally we get a single soft-shell egg, and once we got the most disgusting thing that didn’t even resemble an egg. My son read about Lash eggs, which sound right - however, our chickens are seemingly healthy ever since. They have lots of feathers/ a few bald red patches on one or two of them, and they eat and are active.
The other issue is that we have 4 chicks ready to be introduced to them, but we are scared they could get whatever problem the hens have. Any ideas ??

Hello, welcome to BYC!
1.Do you have a rooster?
2.Does your flock have any respiratory issues? Runny eyes or nose? Noisy breathing?
3. What do you feed them? Do keep oyster shell available?
4. Do they have adequate room in their coop and run?
5. Have there been any stressful events?
(Predator issues, moves, new flock members)
Pictures can be helpful.

Could they be molting? What's their Diet? What's the coop like? Can you please get pictures of the bald spots? How old are they and what breeds? Anywhere they could hide a nest?
I thought they were moulting at first too, but they have been missing feathers for about a year and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. We were feeding them normal hen feed but recently we tried higher protein food to maybe help them lay. Their coop is always clean with roosts three nesting boxes and a lot of room, and they have a big run. They are 2 years old and we have 2 barred rocks and 3 Rhode Island reds. There isn’t anywhere else they would be laying. I have some pictures here:
60200BF8-BFBD-463E-8BE5-5A44C71707C8.jpeg
834B4D49-DB60-4C8D-A1A5-43EDBCA42DC2.jpeg
32404A90-CF32-47AB-9798-9D4928241084.jpeg

Hello, welcome to BYC!
1.Do you have a rooster?
2.Does your flock have any respiratory issues? Runny eyes or nose? Noisy breathing?
3. What do you feed them? Do keep oyster shell available?
4. Do they have adequate room in their coop and run?
5. Have there been any stressful events?
(Predator issues, moves, new flock members)
Pictures can be helpful.
We had a rooster about a year ago but got rid of him because he was a jerk. The hens all seem really healthy other than the fact that they don’t lay or have much feathers. No respiratory issues. We recently started feeding them higher protein feed and they have oyster shells and grit but I’m not totally sure they even eat it. They have lots of room in their coop and run, and we also let them free range in the yard. About a week ago we had to make a temporary coup out of plywood in the run, but they have a nesting box and a roost and they weren’t laying way before that. I have some pictures uploaded in a different reply. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom