Could my sleep chick be blind?

Cajunrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
I posted a couple of days about about my sleepy chick. She's off and on ok. Some hours she's up and walking around and eating, but other hours...when everybody else is up and moving around, she is sound asleep. I just don't know what's up. Honestly? I think she is blind. She bumps into everything. She feels for the perch with her face, then jumps up to it. She LOVES my 7 year old dd and cries for her when she's not around, but she doesn't quiet until my dd talks to her. I had them all up and outside today and she didn't do anything but sit in the grass. She didn't graze, chase bugs or anything. She seemed content to sit and doze. She bumps into her food bowl. When she's eating, about 75% of the time, she's pecking at the plastic food bowl rather than IN the food. She does get food though..every now and then. I'm still hand feeding her about 3 times a day. She seems to perk up about 15 minutes after I feed her. She also doesn't seem to notice any movement around her at all. Most other birds will startle when one of the others is next to them. They have to step on her to startle her though. I was feeding them mealworms and the others were going nuts. She never ate one...even if I put it right in front of her face.

It's all so strange. I just don't know what to think about her.

I had one that didn't make it through the first week. The farmer I got them from told me some chicks seem ok but just go downhill steadily. I knew not to expect everyone to make it but I guess I did anyways once I got attached to them all.

Back
Top Bottom