Traumatized(?) chick

Valalilly

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2023
Hi,
I just added a 6 week old Ajam Cemani to my other hens of the same age and she's just not handling being here it seems.
I think the breeder wasn't too friendly with them, and she's just not used to anything. I get that she's still nervous about being handled, but she seems to just not understand how to be a chicken. She doesn't pick around in the dirt, she doesn't eat anything besides her regular feed, she doesn't seem to understand treats, won't even eat them if I put them in the feeding bowl, I've tried dried mealworms (my other hens can't get to me fast enough when they see me with mealworms, she won't even eat them if I put them in front of her. Same with fresh herbs, even when cut very small, other fresh things my other hens LOVE. She just doesn't want anything.

I'm worried about her, she just doesn't seem happy when she's with the rest (and has started attacking younger chicks who all the rest get along with fine) but if I separate her, she gets really anxious as well.

Anyone have any idea how to teach her how to be a chicken and get her happier?

TIA

Many chickens don't like treats if they've never had them before. Give her time.
Did you have her quarantined and then in either side of a fence from the others for a while?
She on the other side of a fence now which she seems to hate, for chicken play time I do let her choose to join the rest or not. She sometimes joins, sometimes rather jump into the bigger part where the rest usually live and hang out there on her own for a bit.

I just feel bad for her. She just seems so sad. The other new one immediately became part of the group (though she's a half sister of the others, so that might make a difference)

She on the other side of a fence now which she seems to hate, for chicken play time I do let her choose to join the rest or not. She sometimes joins, sometimes rather jump into the bigger part where the rest usually live and hang out there on her own for a bit.

I just feel bad for her. She just seems so sad. The other new one immediately became part of the group (though she's a half sister of the others, so that might make a difference)
She'll be fine, you don't have separate her unless you see blood.

She'll be fine, you don't have separate her unless you see blood.
She's been pecking those little SO hard that they're scared to eat and drink, that's why I started separating her. As soon as they don't run away from food and drink anymore I'll stop separating them. Don't want to end up with another dead baby. (I picked up another one the age of my Cochins and she does after 2 days, likely because she didn't get to drink because this one kept chasing her since they'd been let out of their transport box.

She's been pecking those little SO hard that they're scared to eat and drink, that's why I started separating her. As soon as they don't run away from food and drink anymore I'll stop separating them. Don't want to end up with another dead baby. (I picked up another one the age of my Cochins and she does after 2 days, likely because she didn't get to drink because this one kept chasing her since they'd been let out of their transport box.
Get a few more feeding stations and some things to block the view of thecother feeders so they can eat without be chased off

They don't have to anything fancy, pie pans or tin cake pans from the dollar or thrift store will work
For the water I do want something safe for the littles. Don't want to end up drowning them while trying to keep them safe.
But yeah, doe feed I've got enough containers I could use.

For the water I do want something safe for the littles. Don't want to end up drowning them while trying to keep them safe.
But yeah, doe feed I've got enough containers I could use.
At 6 weeks, it would take a freak accident for them to drown in a cake pan but they're good to have.

Back
Top Bottom