Could not enough nesting boxes cause flock issues?

Pics

MIgardengal

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Way UP north MI
I have been having issues with 2 of my hens getting along for the past month.

Had some discussion on a previous post. My coop and run meet the needed space required per bird. I recently added additional roost space at the recommendation of some folks here.

All my other hens get along swimmingly, no issues. I just have one EE that particularly bullies my one BO. It’s just between these two.

I have 6 hens, 2 nesting boxes. Today I was in the coop both nests were occupied. My BO was in one of them. The EE jumped up in my presence, and started to aggressively pluck at the head feathers of the BO who was
in the box.

Is this a indicator I need more next boxes? I thought 1 box per 3 birds was plenty?

If anything, most of us have noticed we have more than the number of nesting boxes required to fulfill the needs of our hens. What we do notice is that hens want the nest that's occupied, no matter that there are plenty of unoccupied nest boxes.

Two hens squabbling over a nest has nothing to do with not having enough nest boxes. I've seen three hens crowded into the same nest, and toss in the rooster on some days. They don't care that there is an empty nest right next to it. If another hen is in the nest, they want it.

They don't care that there is an empty nest right next to it. If another hen is in the nest, they want it.

This.

With 5 hens and 2 boxes the only reason anyone uses the second box is that the broody is sitting in the previous favorite.

Do you have a couple fake eggs/golf balls in each box?

I don't think the number of nests is your problem. I once saw a mature hen grab a pullet that was laying an egg by the head and jerk her off the nest so she could lay in that nest. There were empty nests around. I often see three hens in the same nest laying at the same time with empty nests around. I think that one hen was just being a bully because she could.

All my other hens get along swimmingly, no issues. I just have one EE that particularly bullies my one BO. It’s just between these two.
How old are these two? What other bullying behaviors between them have you seen? It has been really rare but I have seen one chicken simply not like another one. Help us understand what s going on. What else are you seeing?

Back
Top Bottom