Could (or should) i feed deceased predators to my chickens?

SoTxJoe

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
South Texas
I've watched how the flock will ravage what's left of a fellow chicken after a predator kills it, so i was wondering if it is feasible to feed the predators i dispatch back to the chickens. Mostly raccoons, occasional fox or other critters. Was also considering suspending the dead predator and letting the flies have it, and whatever larvae, offspring, or body parts fall into the coop the chickens could eat.

Does even considering these make me a bad person?

I feel like it’ll be unpopular but I kind of like the idea of maggot production. I’ve read of it before, keeping decaying meat in bucket with perforated bottom to allow the snacks to fall through. Free protein makes sense to me. The smell and proximity to your house/neighbors may make it and you unpopular if it’s too close.

I've watched how the flock will ravage what's left of a fellow chicken after a predator kills it, so i was wondering if it is feasible to feed the predators i dispatch back to the chickens. Mostly raccoons, occasional fox or other critters. Was also considering suspending the dead predator and letting the flies have it, and whatever larvae, offspring, or body parts fall into the coop the chickens could eat.

I don't think the idea makes you a bad person at all.
I think it could be a good way of supplementing your flocks diet with certain caveats.
If you're going to feed raw meat to your chickens you would need to be confident that it was disease free and maybe more of a problem, free of any poisons used to control predators and pests. I would happily feed rat meat to the chickens here if I was confident that the rats hadn't eaten any poisons that some farmers and households use to control rats.
The same would apply to hawks who eat the rats that may have ingested poisons.
So, the idea isn't a bad idea at all in my view. It's whether, or not it's practicable.
I have a contact in Australia who feeds his chickens Dingo meat which is not so different from feeding chickens coyote or raccoons. He cooks the meat before feeding.
I'm not so enamored with the idea of having dead animals hanging breeding flies.:sick
I think they are liable to stink very quickly and attract other predators.

I reckon it makes you frugal.

Sounds like a lot of protein, too much?

Seems my Chickie's only eat what they want/need.

Something about blood thirsty chickens.....

If they have access to other feed, depending on chicken numbers of course, it seems they wouldn't eat the whole thing before it rots or attracts other predators.

If they are eating it all..(numbers again) it seems unnatural, I would have nightmares about the chickens breaking into the house and eating the kids!

Sorce

I've feed my fowl meat in the past. Left over rotisserie chicken, stew, chicken noodle soup, ect. You name it, I gave it to them. Considering they will kill and eat mice, snakes, rats, sometimes each other...I really don't see the issue.
They're like garbage disposals, they'll eat just about anything

I don't have an issue with it at all. I got distracted after noticing my cat killed a mature possum and forgot to toss it over the fence. The chicken took that carcas down to the bone and I didn't get a good photo of the recently deceased for my BYC post. Excepting dislocated jaw, ribs, spine and the untouched tail.

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard of hanging a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom in the chicken run to produce maggots for free protein. That article said to put a layer of hay or straw loosely in the bottom of the bucket and then your dead animal on top of that. He had a plastic tray like is in the bottom of a dog crate under his bucket. When the maggots are finished eating and are ready to pupate, in nature they burrow down a few inches into soil. The plastic tray will help keep you from making flies instead of protein. The article I read said that his chickens would hear the falling maggots hitting the tray and the race was on to see who would get there first.

I think I would try this as long as the smell of decomp doesn't reach the house or pool area.

Back
Top Bottom