Could rickets cause underbite beaks and inability to walk/stand in chicks??

starlingdaly

Songster
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Sanford, NC
I had a previous thread going trying to figure out why my chicks kept dying and I finally think I figured it out.
(Previous thread for your reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/783728/unusually-high-mortality-rates-in-chicks-for-2013 )

Someone mentioned they had a chick with similar symptoms to mine and it ended up being a vitamin E deficiency. I have been adding a vitamin and electrolyte supplement to the chick water since day one that does include vitamin E so at first I thought maybe it wasn't connected.

Then one of the chicks from my own flock developed an underbite beak and another stopped walking (acting perfectly normal otherwise). Up to that point, I had only experienced mortality and symptoms in chicks I had bought from feed stores.

I did a quick search on vitamin deficiencies and underbites and found in a REPTILE article that rickets from lack of ultraviolet light will cause calcium to not be absorbed and create underbites and broken bones, etc.
My vitamin supplement does have vitamin D in it.
However, it is over a year old and wasn't stored properly. I didn't think and just rolled up the bag, stuck it in my spice cabinet and there it lived for a year in a humid environment. I'd imagine that would break down the vitamins pretty quickly.
Not to mention I've not been able to take my chicks outside with me lately due to long hours at work and rain on days I have off so the poor chickies weren't even able to get vitamin D from the sun!

So I quickly bought some new vitamin supplements for the water (who knows what else they are deficient in!) and gave them plain grassfed whole yogurt with extra vitamin D3 in it. I also added coral calcium, kelp powder, vitamin K2 and a teeny tiny bit of an adult multivitamin.
Mixed that with a little shredded coconut and honey and they LOVED it.

My main question though is, will they be able to make a full recovery? If the underbites were caused by rickets, could they revert back to normal when they are no longer deficient?
I know that the ones that don't want to walk will recover (as I already had one recover from giving it human multivitamin mixed with sourdough bread crumbs last month (without realizing that is exactly what everyone needed in the first place!))

Good news everyone!
One of the chicks who couldn't walk at all has now graduated to limping a few steps at a time! :)
Looks like the vitamin D was the trick!!

Also, I have noticed my babies are drinking the vitamin water more than the plain water right now. Perhaps they can tell they need it?

Still wondering if those underbite beaks will go away.

Good news everyone!
One of the chicks who couldn't walk at all has now graduated to limping a few steps at a time!
smile.png

Looks like the vitamin D was the trick!!

Also, I have noticed my babies are drinking the vitamin water more than the plain water right now. Perhaps they can tell they need it?

Still wondering if those underbite beaks will go away.
YEA!!!! That's AWESOME!!! So excited for you!!!

Thanks Rose!!
My biggest worry right now is how my speckled Sussex chick who didn't walk for two or three weeks will recover. She seem to have so little muscle in her legs. Any suggestions for helping her get back on her feet?

Well so far my speckled Sussex is still going! She's pretty feisty for a mostly immobile chick. I have been feeding her beef and liver with added vitamin D and kelp powder twice a day and while I can't say for certain if she is improving, she isn't getting worse.

There were some chicks that had the deficiency too bad to save... I wish I had been able to catch this sooner. One silkie and 2 speckled Sussex and a lavender orpington remain from the original batch of many chicks.
Lavender orpington is doing superb. Silkie is stable and lives outside with a mama hen (and six foster siblings) and they are all doing well.
The lavender orpington is by far doing the best and never showed any deficiency symptoms and is also the biggest.

I wish I were home more to get the chicks outside more often but the D supplement is keeping them going in the meantime.

P.S. The chick that went from not walking to limping also started walking and running normally the next day. It's so encouraging when you are able to make some better! :)

Interesting question. My 10week olds had been on layer feed with original owner and after noticing one sitting a lot I found a reference to the high calcium causing rickets. After a while on the correct feed for its age the sitting went away. (She would even sit to eat)

One of the others has developed an underbite . (Bottom beak longer) and I had it trimmed as it seemed to be afecting her drinking. The top however has now grown a bit if a hook without the piece below it and I'm starting to see the beginning of a cross beak. I doubt beak problems will resolve themselves just because the diet has improved that would require the beak shortening all by itself and that's unlikely. I suspect it is going to be an ongoing issue for us.

Interesting to see I'm not the only one with these ricket complications. Though I'm honestly not convinced the beak wasn't an inbreeding problem as I think the guy bred from eggs he bought. Could have easily been siblings.

Interesting question. My 10week olds had been on layer feed with original owner and after noticing one sitting a lot I found a reference to the high calcium causing rickets. After a while on the correct feed for its age the sitting went away. (She would even sit to eat)

One of the others has developed an underbite . (Bottom beak longer) and I had it trimmed as it seemed to be afecting her drinking. The top however has now grown a bit if a hook without the piece below it and I'm starting to see the beginning of a cross beak. I doubt beak problems will resolve themselves just because the diet has improved that would require the beak shortening all by itself and that's unlikely. I suspect it is going to be an ongoing issue for us.

Interesting to see I'm not the only one with these ricket complications. Though I'm honestly not convinced the beak wasn't an inbreeding problem as I think the guy bred from eggs he bought. Could have easily been siblings.

Very interesting! While I am sorry you are experiencing this too, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I have two with underbite beaks. One is very mild and I'm positive is due to rickets because it is a chick from my own flock. The second one is pretty severe but she is eating and drinking okay and it hasn't turned into a scissor beak. I will have to trim it again as it has grown out to the point I can almost see her tongue sticking out.
I have two limping chicks with the no-walking one in the quarantine/recovery cage. Everyone else seems to be doing well with the supplement.
I am only giving additional calcium to the chicks in recovery because I had a couple I had to cull due to soft bones that caused them to be unable to sit up and had their limbs at odd angles. It was very sad and I didn't want them to die completely miserable.

Back
Top Bottom