could she be a he??

Leah S

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Got 2 silver cuckoo marans that were born on Aug. 1st. Are they a larger breed? They literally tower over my other girls and getting bigger than my 2 year olds (RIRs and an EE). This AM I went out to let them out and I hear one of my Marans crowing!! There s/he was, making all sorts of racket just as the sun was rising. Could it be that maybe she was just being noisy? It's the first time I 've heard it other then when s/he was separated from the flock. S/he was flapping it's wings and very loud. Stands out in memory since it was such a display that the others have never shown.
the other maran is very quiet, but also huge. They don't "look" like boys, but I am still fairly new and not 100% what I am looking for.
What do youthink?
I would post pictures, but the camera is on the fritz.
Leah

one more thing. They BOTH have lovely tail feathers. long and quite showy. All my other girls have small tails. The more i think about it the more nervous I am since we cannot have roosters
sad.png

That is nerve-wracking, isn't it. I have one, hatched Aug 26, I was sure to be a boy... but s/he hasn't uttered a peep. By this age all my previous boys would have been crowing their fool heads off. It starts with a rusty-gate squeak and grows bigger and crowier by the day.

So take some photos and let us see what they both look like. Hope it's a girl.

Jenny

At three and half months the difference between the two should be noticeable. It implies you've two roosters if they are similar looking and one is crowing. Cockerel signs to look for are large comb and wattles, sickle tail feathers, pointed hackle (neck) feathers, saddle feathers and of course crowing. Cock-a-doodle-doo or more accurately erack-er-aroo sounds not the "berock" hen sound.

You'll have to borrow a camera and post a pic if your not sure what to look for.

ok, here are some pictures

in the first one, the chicken in the back:
95812_img_5133.jpg

in the second, the chicken in the front:
95812_img_5134.jpg

hope you can see the pictures!

Those are boys. My cuckoo marans pullets are about 3 months older thans yours and have MUCH smaller combs and wattles. Your boys also have male coloring, hackles, saddles, and tails
sad.png

: (
what do I do now?!? I ordered sexed chickens and was looking forward to those dark eggs (hopefully will start selling eggs in the spring time). can I call the hatchery and see if I can get girls, it was my pet chicken.
I only have 10 chickens total, so that's too few girls for two roosters, right?
oh, I am so sad right now. was hoping that they were really big girls with showy tails.
well, my husband has been asking for chicken and dumplings lately.........

Back
Top Bottom