could she be broody?

ilovemychook24

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
my beautiful silkie mix looks to maybe be going broody
wee.gif

but i want your opinon as i havent had chickens for very long (about a year and a bit)
here are the clues im gathering:
~ this morning (about 10:00) i opened up the cage, both her (millie) and another hen (honey) decided to lay on some eggs, after about one hour of sitting honey got off she had finished laying her egg, but millie continued to sit, millie has been sitting for about 3 hours and she doesnt look like she is about to get up
~ she stopped laying eggs about a week ago and she just gets in the nest boxes to sit on the eggs not to lay
~ she always hangs around the pen instead of wandereing with the freerangers

broody?
big_smile.png

well this week this got off them sometimes but i think its because our sheep sometimes barge into the ppen and i think she got startled
but today she is sitting for ages!
yes she does go and sit on them at night, all night
i dont want to try and pick her up because she is actually our unfriendliest hen, we actually saved her from abusive owners and she doesnt like being touched but she doesnt mind human company, but i'm scared if i touch her she'll be spooked and run off and discontinue to sit, wether broody or not
but i could try
smile.png

Sure sounds broody! Are you happy about that?

I don't have much experience with it. My BO went broody, there was no mistaking it, but I was able to break her of it in just a few days.

i am extremely happy!
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
jumpy.gif

thankyouu!!
hugs.gif

i had a big incident happen this year that took alot of my flock and i'm focusing on re-building it naturally
big_smile.png

gee thats pretty lucky that you could break her easy, some hens just dont give up, but some are willing to let go

Back
Top Bottom