Could someone pls list what traits to look for in sexing a chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gindee77, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I've been reading many threads and I'm more confused than ever. What are the traits that pinpoint whether a chick is a roo or a pullet? I have week old chicks and I know it's too soon to tell, but I need to figure out what they are as soon as possible. What do I look for as they mature?

Thx

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The girls are usually more shy/timid and the boys are usually your favorite ones because they let you hold them much more willingly and mine would fall asleep in my hand while i scratched his neck. The boys are coming to check you out with the neck stretched way out and curious, while the girls stay away. Does that describe anyone you know?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. mowinagain

mowinagain New Egg

Mar 20, 2008
    u can see in their hole in the behind if u roll it open a bit.... that the male will have one little pimple looking thingy and the girls will have 2 little pimple looking thingys together making a small slit.... worked for me to sex mine although I got 1 out of 22 wrong LOL

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

5. 2 Beauts

2 Beauts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Virginia
    When I click on the link, it takes me to some rawhide chews for dogs....... Is that the one you meant to post? [​IMG]

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

7. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I'm going to try that method on my next hatch...should be fun to see if it truly works!

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I tried that hat thing and there were definitely two different reactions. The one's I thought were boys (because of the lighter feathering) stood up tall. I think this may work. It was hard to do with all my chicks tho. I'm going to have to try it one chick at a time...they're moving all over the place and it's hard to watch them all at once. But the two EE chicks I had that I was pretty sure were roos both stood up tall and did that chirping! What a cool and easy way to sex chicks!!!

I just got home from getting 11 more chicks. It looked like all 3 of the Barred Rock chicks I got stood up tall when I did the hat thing. [​IMG] Go figure!

I'm open for more suggestions, if anyone knows of anymore ways to tell. I read something about thicker legs, different toe and leg length on each sex, pointy feathers on roos?? Any info on those things?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    What is the "hat thing"? I tried that link but it wasn't working. I'm really interested in a way to sex chicks! Thanks!

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    u can see in their hole in the behind if u roll it open a bit.... that the male will have one little pimple looking thingy and the girls will have 2 little pimple looking thingys together making a small slit.... worked for me to sex mine although I got 1 out of 22 wrong LOL

Hmmmmm.....I have never heard of this before so I decided to try it. I get all of my 5 day old or so little babies and flip them over and look. Here is what I found out. I either have all girls, all boys, this doesn't work, or I have no clue what chicken genitalia should look like. The only thing I am 100% sure of is this, I have 7 very angry chicklets.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by