Could they be moulting already?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keyt1969, Aug 4, 2011.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks almost all of my ducks aren't looking as pretty. For example, my muskovy drake's pretty green feathers are looking brown and the necks of almost all of my cayugas are white instead of grey or dark green. Others are looking pretty dull or white too. I have also gone from 8-10 duck eggs a day to just 1. I thought the lack of eggs was due to the extreme heat we've had here lately. I hope it's just moulting and not a disease. Everyone has the same voracious appetite and energy level as always.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Sorry, I don't have any ducks, but am planning on getting some, so for now I'm browsing through this section trying to get information. About them molting early, my chickens have just started molting and have quit laying, so yours could be doing the same thing, however I'm not sure if it's the same with ducks. [​IMG] Either way, your not alone. [​IMG]

3. loprettaerin

loprettaerin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Lonedell, Missouri
    my rouen drake started molting about a 2 months ago and the girls are just starting to molt. It has been very hot here also. my male did same thing last year about this time and was back to his pretty color's by fall. Im sure they are just molting. Know if I can only get them to start setting on there eggs. I stopped collecting hoping that I stopped collecting and hatching for my self since we are going to be gone for a week or so but so far they just will not go broody. They lay on them at night but and get off there nest during the day. Maybe it is just the heat who knows.

4. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

We've had bad heat, a couple days of really bad rain (10 inches!) and now this. They just look really bad and I feel awful. I hope they aren't sick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by