Could this 3.5 week Lavender Orp be a he?

Pullet, Cockerel, or Too Young

• Pullet

• Cockerel

• Too Young

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since Orpingtons are slow feathering- both pullets and cockerels will feather at the same rate. If an Orpington was crossed with a fast feathering breed- it could be helpful- but the chick in question looks like a purebred.

So comb/wattle seem like the best bet for the next couple of weeks until sex-specific feathers emerge after 8+ weeks.

Since Orpingtons are slow feathering- both pullets and cockerels will feather at the same rate. If an Orpington was crossed with a fast feathering breed- it could be helpful- but the chick in question looks like a purebred.

So comb/wattle seem like the best bet for the next couple of weeks until sex-specific feathers emerge after 8+ weeks.
Sounds like good advice. I'll make an update in a few weeks if I remember to.

I also have a lavender Orpington and am in the same situation. Mine looked a lot like yours dis at 3.5 weeks (photo attached).

This one is a about 4 weeks old now but the photo was taken at around 3 weeks. I'll update as things progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20230505_195915198.jpg
    IMG_20230505_195915198.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Feathering rate does not surely indicate a male or a female. This is mostly just a myth. The best way to know is by comb and waddle development, and sexing by 6-8 weeks of age. Your chick has quite red comb and large wattles for this age, so I am confident it is a male. But it will be best if you could update in a few weeks. My best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom