1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

could this be a problem? Lge crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McGoo, Dec 28, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Songster

My BC Marans has a very large crop and it sways when she comes a run'in. It's about the size of a 'hard ball'.... but it seems to be mushy and okay feeling when I massage it. should I be concerned about the large size? Should I be aware to look for anything? Is this just a trait of some birds? [​IMG]

thanks all

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I have some that get like that, they look like they need a one-sided bra. [​IMG] But they have never had a problem. Just keep an eye on her, especially in the early morning. You can take away the feed at night, let them roost, then check her first thing in the morning. It should be gone down by then if everything is ok.

3. Doe, one of my biggest girls, looks like that before heading to the roost in the evening, but by morning the crop is down. Can't say if yours is problematic but there must be considerable variation in hens...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. McGoo

McGoo Songster

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to keep an eye on her.
    Guess just like us gals - some of us are larger chested than others so she's larger cropped. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: