could this be feather mites

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
on my chickens flight feathers there is no feather just the barb or whatever it's called. is this feather mites and is there any way I can help her

hh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806-122701_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200806-122701_Gallery.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 11
I've never seen mites do that kind of damage. Check for mites at night by taking the chicken off her roost and looking at the top of her legs. If she has mites, they will be there. As for the feather damage on her wings, it looks like she has been flapping her wings against something. Has she been in a small cage? More information here. :hmm

I've never seen mites do that kind of damage. Check for mites at night by taking the chicken off her roost and looking at the top of her legs. If she has mites, they will be there. As for the feather damage on her wings, it looks like she has been flapping her wings against something. Has she been in a small cage? More information here. :hmm
shes an indoor chicken lol and no i dont keep her licked so she cant hit her wings on anything. i checked for mites and disnt see anything. her tail feathers also look like this. could she be just over preening?

I've also clipped her wings before

Some mites only come out at night to feed on the birds. I use a head lamp after the birds roost then I have both hands free to check them over. Good luck...

This may be the key here. Clipping wings can't feel natural to the bird. She may be overpreening because it feels weird. That doesn't explain her tail feathers, however. Let her feathers grow out and you will have a beautiful bird.
I havent clipped them in over a year tho and even when she melted those feathers didn't fall out l. do the feather part on the barbs grow back or is she gonna have to grow whole new feather and should I clip the nubs like the big spiked one without any feather

Some mites only come out at night to feed on the birds. I use a head lamp after the birds roost then I have both hands free to check them over. Good luck...
I've taken her to the vet and gave her the all clear and iver been spraying her with permethrin for the last 2 months because I was worried because a little chick I had had feather mites

Back
Top Bottom