could this be my problem

Quote:
Mulia, old men are often sure of things - okay old women too - that ARE NOT TRUE...

Wish I had a dollar for every time some old country fart or another has told me something about livestock that turned out to not be true. I could have a new barn.

Pullet eggs are often fertile. They often hatch without problems, when there is a problem it's usually a chick not turning in the egg.

Most of my pullet eggs hatch just like other eggs.

I had one old fart, whom I love dearly but he's an old fart and he knows it, tell me chickens laid for two weeks then took a break. Oddly my chickens lay year round, slow when moulting, then lay again.

He started buying MY chickens because mine lay better. And I'm fairly sure it's in part the good start they got here on excellent feed.

Old people only know what they've experienced, and if they didn't try something because THEY were told it did not work... then they believe it - without basis.

People have told me all/most assisted chicks die. That's not true.

They're all weak for life if you help them out, also not true.

The list goes on and on and on.

Determine the truth for yourself, based on more than one try and more than one experience. For the most part, much that is Lore - is poppycock and the Rules... they're general statements not finite boarders.

Sure the over all best outcome is going to be from clean, fresh, large eggs from a seasoned hen. But when you have a young pullet and you want MORE chickens, especially from THAT pullet. Hatch a bunch of them because there is NO guarantee that that pullet will be around as an older bird. Sure maybe some won't go, or won't hatch right but some will. I know - I've got plenty of the chicks from early pullet eggs running around here.

Very well put
caf.gif

Quote:
bow.gif
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I am so tired of hearing that myself.

Over the years that has been my experiance...that they either have a leg isssue that kept them from hatching on their own or they were too weak and died soon after.

Last edited:
My animals are free range Katy. On nine acres. Some of my assisted birds never go indoors - rain or freeze, and have bred/layed normally, and parented totally normal chicks/poults.

I can't imagine any further criteria than forages on free range, breeds/lays and produces healthy offspring, and is a good parent.

I thought it WOULD be different. But it just hasn't been. Admittedly once they're out of the brooder, it's forage and be good at it or DIE. And maybe that's the difference. I don't cage them up and feed them and foster any weakness. They live or die by being well, by being strong and capable. Or they don't live to procreate.

They're not in a protected situation, that I perpetuate by providing every calorie and preventing every exposure to anything harmful. So maybe that's part of it.

I do lose some, with no sense or that just aren't as strong as the others but it's rare. And in general it appears to have NOTHING to do with whether they were assisted or not. In fact losing an assisted bird is rarer than losing those that hatched naturally/normally.

Ok....now I feel terrible. I went and started opening eggs as they shoulda hatched a few days ago by my calculation. Well the first 2 I opened were partially developed but had died. The third one I opened had a lil baby turning in it. I felt so bad for it. I pulled back the membrane as I didnt see anything happening....and then it started turning. No way to even put it back in the bator. I didnt mark a couple eggs with dates so I wasnt sure exactly when they should hatch...least the last 2 I had opened....but they were all set within a couple days of each other. I put the last 2 I had back in without checking them. Anyone have a good solution for candeling brown eggs so this doesnt happen again?

Back
Top Bottom