Could this be possible? A rooster fertility question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by equine chick, Jun 6, 2011.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I just got a new rooster, about a year old. I did not have any roos til now. I put him in on saturday and checked the eggs this morning, now there are only 2 hens with him now but both eggs had the white dot and their eggs from saturday did not have any dots. I heard it can only take 25 hours but really???

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Wow! Brings the whole idea of stud to a different level! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I don't plan on testing fertility for a couple weeks when my bator will be free. I'm just curious if this is true.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    to be quite honest I have no roosters and I see white dots and bullseyes in my eggs all the time I think its a bunch of baloney and do not believe there is really any true way to tell a fertile egg.

5. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Well mine certainly never had it before. I do know he is doing his manly duty and his former owner said he was quite fertile. I will be checking myself in a couple weeks to see how they are when I have a free incubator.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There's always a white dot on an egg yolk. Sometimes, you have to look at the underside of the yolk to see it, but it's always there. That is the blastodisc. When it's fertilized, a ring forms around that dot and it becomes the blastoderm, the developing chick.

7. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    thanks speckled hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by