Could this be the silliest question ever??? UPDATED WITH PICS

That seems strange
hmm.png
If she was a hen, it would look like rooster damage, but of course, that's not it. If her skin doesn't look irritated or wounded, I would try spraying blu coat on the bald spots. She may be getting pecked at by the others when they go roost for the night. A little bit of skin showing is very inviting to other chickens. I have a one hen that was missing the feathers on the front and side of her neck for almost a year. Only the constant application of blu coat stopped the plucking, and I never found out who was doing it. If she doesn't have new feathers coming in after a week or two, I would keep her separate from the others until they do. Also, she looks older than 1-1 1/2 weeks old, she looks like she has lost most of her down and is getting feathers, but it may just be her "fluff" is missing.

Thanks Flowerchicks, I will duck out and get some blu coat this afternoon. She could be up to a couple of weeks old. She had moved from the first brooder to the 2nd brooder at the breeders - I think she does that around the 1.5wk onward mark. I'll keep a close eye on her but she continues to eat and drink very well.

To be honest, the most likely cause is other chicks pecking at it when you aren't looking. Another cause that I avoided mentioning is that male chicks do tend to get bald shoulders while they mature. They also tend to feather waaaaaaaaaaaaay more slowly than the females, especially in the tail. If he gets quills above those bald spots, and not much anywhere else, it's almost certain to be a male.

I'd blue cote it anyway just to be sure it's not being pecked. If it's eating and drinking ok, then there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom