Pics of broody moms co-parenting

View attachment 3770172

Black Australorp is named Phyllis, age 4, and the white Plymouth rock is named Rose, and she is 3.

What adorable pictures!
My very first broody hen hatch, decades ago, was a co-brooded nest. I was dumbfounded and green as grass. Had no clue what to do so I just trusted the hens and watched them carefully. The two hens were sisters from a group of feed store bought Orpingtons. They shared brood duties but once the eggs hatched, all 3 of them... (They weren't very successful) one hen took over 90% of the mom duties and the other just stayed well back and occasionally might call when she found extra bugs or the like.
Good luck and hopefully they'll keep up the sweet synchronized brooding since it seems like they do well with it!

What adorable pictures!
My very first broody hen hatch, decades ago, was a co-brooded nest. I was dumbfounded and green as grass. Had no clue what to do so I just trusted the hens and watched them carefully. The two hens were sisters from a group of feed store bought Orpingtons. They shared brood duties but once the eggs hatched, all 3 of them... (They weren't very successful) one hen took over 90% of the mom duties and the other just stayed well back and occasionally might call when she found extra bugs or the like.
Good luck and hopefully they'll keep up the sweet synchronized brooding since it seems like they do well with it!
Aw I heard that orpingtons go broody often, is that true?
That's so funny that one cared for them more than the other 😆
Yes, I bet they will go broody again this year, but I don't really want them to because I don't really want any more mixed breeds, instead I'm just going to get a few chicks from a local breeder.

Aw I heard that orpingtons go broody often, is that true?
That's so funny that one cared for them more than the other 😆
Yes, I bet they will go broody again this year, but I don't really want them to because I don't really want any more mixed breeds, instead I'm just going to get a few chicks from a local breeder.
My Orps did seem to go broody more than some other breeds. Later, when I didn't have a rooster I liked around I sometimes got eggs from a friend with good bloodlines in her flock and let my ladies brood them. My best pet hen was a mix, Easter egger and ? she laid green eggs and was without a doubt the most loving and productive little hen I ever had.
Since for some years I kept Orps for egg sales I did have a larger pure orp flock, (my field of safety cones flock!) but for my personal pets I got what ever I fancied and looked fun. Orpington roosters are big, beautiful boys btw.
My best friends flock was ruled over by Big Daddy, he was the prettiest and toughest bird I'd ever seen. I gave her my worst psycho rooster and Big Daddy straightened him out.... big time. (yeah Big Daddy is what she named him, it fit!)

My Orps did seem to go broody more than some other breeds. Later, when I didn't have a rooster I liked around I sometimes got eggs from a friend with good bloodlines in her flock and let my ladies brood them. My best pet hen was a mix, Easter egger and ? she laid green eggs and was without a doubt the most loving and productive little hen I ever had.
Since for some years I kept Orps for egg sales I did have a larger pure orp flock, (my field of safety cones flock!) but for my personal pets I got what ever I fancied and looked fun. Orpington roosters are big, beautiful boys btw.
My best friends flock was ruled over by Big Daddy, he was the prettiest and toughest bird I'd ever seen. I gave her my worst psycho rooster and Big Daddy straightened him out.... big time. (yeah Big Daddy is what she named him, it fit!)
Haha that's so funny because my easter egger is the most skittish thing in the world 😆 You can barely move without her zooming away.
:lauBig Daddy is the cutest name for a huge roo. Mine's name Is Ledo, but his name was originally Leda when I thought he was a girl. He is a sweetie pie but so mean to my olive egger rooster Benny.
I have to consider getting some orpingtons sometime! I seem to be attracted to those chocolate orpingtons the most. I am just attracted to the orpington's overall size. I love fat chickens.😍

Haha that's so funny because my easter egger is the most skittish thing in the world 😆 You can barely move without her zooming away.
:lauBig Daddy is the cutest name for a huge roo. Mine's name Is Ledo, but his name was originally Leda when I thought he was a girl. He is a sweetie pie but so mean to my olive egger rooster Benny.
I have to consider getting some orpingtons sometime! I seem to be attracted to those chocolate orpingtons the most. I am just attracted to the orpington's overall size. I love fat chickens.😍
I have to agree I love Orps. Barred Rocks as well. My Lady Domino, a Barred Rock, was the queen of my pet flock, very fat and very dignified. All the hens backed off around her and was in every way Queen of the flock.
Most of my EE's have been pretty skittish but this one particular bird was just... different. I named her Itsy, there were just two eggs that hatched from the nest. Itsy and Bitsy, they were so tiny. Bitsy was just a normal EE, but Itsy got injured when a few weeks old and I had to hand raise her and nurse her along. She never became a real "chicken". She pretty much figured she was a people.

She was also pretty good at stealing my lunch....

Attachments

• itsy.JPG
    itsy.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 7
My black sex link hatched five chicks a few years ago. She and my EE have always been close, so she kind of adopted Bully’s chicks. 🥰 The other birds would run in fear, but EE was always allowed in.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom