Pics of broody moms co-parenting

My chickens co-brood every time I give them hatchery eggs. Often one starts to brood and after a few day another hen joins. Sometime they even want to sit with 3 or mother with 3 after the chicks hatched.

These two sit on 6 eggs now.
IMG_4176.jpeg

Last year , I had 3 broodies on 2 nests (11 eggs) in the hatching proces.
IMG_1442D.jpeg

A week later
IMG_1726.jpeg

I didn't have them hatch eggs together but my girls Featherfoot and Griffin raised some adopted feed store chicks together. Sadly a couple months in my family and I went to work out in the woods while the mamas and babies foraged in a well foliaged area which they did all the time. When we got back one baby was crying and Griffin was missing. We figured with the personalities of each hen that a predator likely attacked and Griffin fought and was taken while Featherfoot hid all the babies beneath her. Prior to that we'd had several batches of babies raised free-ranging all day but after that they got confined to the run with everybody else.

I didn't have them hatch eggs together but my girls Featherfoot and Griffin raised some adopted feed store chicks together. Sadly a couple months in my family and I went to work out in the woods while the mamas and babies foraged in a well foliaged area which they did all the time. When we got back one baby was crying and Griffin was missing. We figured with the personalities of each hen that a predator likely attacked and Griffin fought and was taken while Featherfoot hid all the babies beneath her. Prior to that we'd had several batches of babies raised free-ranging all day but after that they got confined to the run with everybody else.
oh no I'm so sorry! Do you think that I can just give a random hen that has been broody before some chicks? Will that work?

Back
Top Bottom