Pics of broody moms co-parenting

IMG_4132.jpeg
5 weeks ago I had a single broody (Kraai) and bought 6 hatchery eggs. A week later I had two broodies sitting on these eggs. The nestbox was too small for them to be comfortable. I added a few fake eggs on the other side. They split up. After a few days I divided the hatchery eggs, 3 for Kraai and 3 for Katrientje.
IMG_4192.jpeg

Only Katrientje hatched one chick 🐣. The other eggs didn't hatch. Kraai was mean to the chick, and I had to close the coop from the rest of my coop/run setup to give Katrientje and the chick a peaceful time.

IMG_4216.jpeg
After a few day one of my black Dutch (Pearl) must have sneaked in when I was attending (feed, water, cleaning). I didn’t notice this for several hours. But this new couple was doing a great job. Pearl is even a better mother than Katrientje.

After a week I moved them to another part of my setup where they have a mini coop and more run space.
IMG_4226.jpeg

Easy peasy job to raise one chick with 2 mama’s.

View attachment 38036075 weeks ago I had a single broody (Kraai) and bought 6 hatchery eggs. A week later I had two broodies sitting on these eggs. The nestbox was too small for them to be comfortable. I added a few fake eggs on the other side. They split up. After a few days I divided the hatchery eggs, 3 for Kraai and 3 for Katrientje.
View attachment 3803608

Only Katrientje hatched one chick 🐣. The other eggs didn't hatch. Kraai was mean to the chick, and I had to close the coop from the rest of my coop/run setup to give Katrientje and the chick a peaceful time.

View attachment 3803602After a few day one of my black Dutch (Pearl) must have sneaked in when I was attending (feed, water, cleaning). I didn’t notice this for several hours. But this new couple was doing a great job. Pearl is even a better mother than Katrientje.

After a week I moved them to another part of my setup where they have a mini coop and more run space.
View attachment 3803603
Easy peasy job to raise one chick with 2 mama’s.
Aww Pearl is so sweet! When I hatched chicks no other hens besides their moms where interested in them....Except my rooster. I don't thing he knew that they were baby chickens because he pecked one of them very hard (he didn't do it to be mean) and the chicky screamed and my rooster doesn't really know how to be gentle so when he pecked it the chick almost fell over 😐

Two of my silkies got broody together this spring. They hatched a few babies themselves and I gave them a dozen or so more from the incubator (including a call duckling). They are both first time mamas but they are so good at it. I love silkies.

Attachments

• PXL_20240329_222407836.jpg
    PXL_20240329_222407836.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240331_011349944.jpg
    PXL_20240331_011349944.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom