Could use some advice Soft eggs, diarrhea, lethargy

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I started a thread in "egg laying", but decided I needed to post here, instead. I have sick girls.

I feed Kalmbach non-gmo pellets. I had been adding oyster shell to the feed because of soft shells, but stopped, when @Eggcessive recommended I only offer it on the side. The girls are not free-ranged.

At least two girls are laying soft shelled eggs. I got one few weeks ago. Then none until last week. Now they are occurring regularly. I got one again this morning. Not soft and broken like the others, but thin. It was in the run. I have been giving calcium citrate to two of the girls for 3 days - but now I'm seeing symptoms in other hens. One visited the nesting box after dark, last night. No egg - but a concerning poop.

We've been dealing with diarrhea for weeks. But they had been acting ok, until recently. I offered Probios for a while, but that didn't help. I tried ACV and it seemed better, briefly. Yesterday, I started Corid. This morning, I found the concerning poop. It was mucousy, a little stringy, part green, part yellowish with blood mixed in - not just on the outside. I didn't find any solid or rubbery bits in it. Overall, the dropping board had fewer watery poops than previous mornings. Maybe the Corid is helping? However - one of the girls, I don't know who, is pooping dark, slimy droppings.

Now, today I am seeing lethargy in a couple of the girls. Puffing up, eye closing. They had been acting normal up until today. We are experiencing cool, damp weather. They are not overheated. So far, I think their combs look ok.

Last night I ordered some Aqua-Mox. But, it will take 1-3 days to arrive. I do not have access to an avian vet.

I just snapped these pictures. These girls are 1 year old. I also have 2 year Olds. All RIRs. Is there anything I could do while I wait for the Aqua-Mox? And is Aqua-Mox the right call? Should I continue the Corid? BTW, they are negative for lice and mites.

Sadie is laying soft eggs. Yesterday she expelled what looked like egg-white, in the run. I don't "think" Winnie has laid any soft eggs, but she's puffing up. Delilah seems ok.
received_927767214944963.jpeg

received_1157097049014342.jpeg

The other girls are out in the chunnel - including the one with the concerning poop

I hope your girls are getting better. As for the soft-shelled eggs, I had this problem a while back. My girls wouldn't touch the standard pebble style oyster shells. This is a big problem for me b/c I feed chick starter to all my flock - babies, rooster, pullets and hens. Someone mentioned flaked oyster shells. Since I got these I have no more issues with soft-shelled eggs.

I know this is not your only issue, but I hope it helps with the soft-shells. This is what I give my girls.

1687909723366.png

Do you feed treats?

Is the feed your feeding a layer type feed?
Yes, it is a layer feed. I had been feeding treats. Black soldierfly larva or produce scraps. No treats for a few days. I did let the girls out into the yard for about 1/2 an hour, this evening. But Gertie went back into the coop and lay down after just a few minutes

I hope your girls are getting better. As for the soft-shelled eggs, I had this problem a while back. My girls wouldn't touch the standard pebble style oyster shells. This is a big problem for me b/c I feed chick starter to all my flock - babies, rooster, pullets and hens. Someone mentioned flaked oyster shells. Since I got these I have no more issues with soft-shelled eggs.

I know this is not your only issue, but I hope it helps with the soft-shells. This is what I give my girls.

View attachment 3558071
Thank you, Marla. I will definitely look into these. I'm glad it solved your problem.

I hope your girls are getting better.
Thank you, Marla. ♡

Gerty slept on the coop floor, last night. I was afraid to go out there, this morning. But, she's still with us - and has been more active. The others are, too. So happy about that! A couple of my girls are a bit on the thin side. One is very thin. But, I'm thinking I might be on track with the Corid. It's such a relief. They are just now coming in to roost. I'll go out again, after dark, and take note of their sleeping positions, so I can check their stools again, tomorrow. I didn't see blood, today, but they are a bit loose, yet.

I did order some oyster shell flakes, and am saving some egg shells.

Thank you, Marla. ♡

Gerty slept on the coop floor, last night. I was afraid to go out there, this morning. But, she's still with us - and has been more active. The others are, too. So happy about that! A couple of my girls are a bit on the thin side. One is very thin. But, I'm thinking I might be on track with the Corid. It's such a relief. They are just now coming in to roost. I'll go out again, after dark, and take note of their sleeping positions, so I can check their stools again, tomorrow. I didn't see blood, today, but they are a bit loose, yet.

I did order some oyster shell flakes, and am saving some egg shells.
You might try wetting their pellets/crumble and making a sort of mash out of it. My girls prefer to eat their crumble like this especially with the hot summer weather we are experiencing right now.

When I come out with the cold water they all flock to the feed tray. It not only gets some food in their crops it helps to cool them down from the inside out. It feels like a treat to them but with all the nutritional balance they need in their feed. I do the same during the winter, only I use warm water.

I do hope your girls continue to improve and are once again their chatty little selves.

You might try wetting their pellets/crumble and making a sort of mash out of it. My girls prefer to eat their crumble like this especially with the hot summer weather we are experiencing right now.

When I come out with the cold water they all flock to the feed tray. It not only gets some food in their crops it helps to cool them down from the inside out. It feels like a treat to them but with all the nutritional balance they need in their feed. I do the same during the winter, only I use warm water.

I do hope your girls continue to improve and are once again their chatty little selves.
I'll give that a try. Laney did eat a little egg. I saw her drinking, too. And she's pooping grass! So, the coconut oil is helping 🙂

Are your girls getting better now? I only noticed your post today. I have 4 hens, one of them had round worm, diarrhea a while ago. I used safe-guard canning dewaormer, a small dosage proportional to its size, put in its drinking water. That cured her in about a week.

Back
Top Bottom