Could use some help/advice

debra and shenderra

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2020
Hey, we had a chicken that had got attacked by a cat. I had heard and chased the cat away but now am tending to the surviving chicken. She has been recovering for a week. We are glad she has gained the will to eat and drink but she can barely move without stumbling when she tries to walk on her own. Which we have been supporting her off and on so she can try and walk... we are not sure what we are doing and if we are doing anything right.

She also is not stretching her neck out which is concerning cause she has been trying to preen herself but has been unable to cause she can't seem to bring herself to make her neck stretch out from it's curled in stance very far. She also is letting out barely auditable cheeps and is often quite.

I do not want to jostle her too much and we are hopeful she will recover. But short of taking her to a vet, which I am not sure there are any that will look at chickens, I am not sure what we can do. Or sure if we have the money to be able to take her to be seen.

We could use some help. We want her to survive but we also do not want her to suffer and be crippled the rest of her life. So we could use all the advice and prayers we can get.

Attachments

• WIN_20201215_10_54_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201215_10_54_53_Pro.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 4
  • WIN_20201215_10_58_43_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201215_10_58_43_Pro.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 4
Oh dear. Now, I'm no Vet, but I do get a feeling that this might be a neck injury or something to do with motor control. Probably what you are doing is going to be as good as it gets for her recovery...someone may come along and have better advice. For now though, I think you are doing pretty good. Poor little dear, wishing her a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom