Could we take a crower poll?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WVForestGirl, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. WVForestGirl

WVForestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2015
    West Virginia
    Do you have a hen-only flock? Especially bantams? How often have you had a hen start crowing?
    Thanks for chiming in, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with 4/12 golden sebright crower girls.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I kept a hen only flock for about 4 years, bantams (Silkie and Cochins), and LF, all breeds, and never ever had a hen crow.

My rooster, however, does so frequently.

LofMc

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I've never had a hen crow but did have one that would make kind of a honking sound which she quit once I got another roo.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I had a game hen that crowed. She actually got pretty good at it. She also laid eggs.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In my opinion a crowing hen has a little too much male hormone. I don't think it is from not enough male companionship.

6. MsRiderUp

MsRiderUp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Canton, Georgia
    I had a hen who would challenge our young roo. Once she had a sickly crow. Later I sold several hens, and I happenedto so just went to the veterinarian. He called me a few days later and told me that she was a hermaphrodite. He had examined her and she had both male and female parts. I also realized that I had never notice whether she actually
    laid eggs or not. He said that that was a very rare condition.

7. WVForestGirl

WVForestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2015
    West Virginia
    That's interesting, MsRiderUp, I know my crowers were producing eggs but never thought to look for male parts. I will do that if I have to process another one. The latest crower seems to have quit after a couple days so maybe I won't need to cull her, fingers crossed.

Thank you all for confirming that this is a relatively rare occurrence. I'm thinking that my bad luck comes from having an entire flock of sebrights, they seem kind of on the gamey end of the spectrum. Can't wait for my chicks in spring!

8. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I have 2 roosters. But had a hen crow on one occasion when she was very upset. She crowed for several minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by