Could we take a crower poll?

Have you had a hen crow in a rooster-less flock?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
M

member 373180

Do you have a hen-only flock? Especially bantams? How often have you had a hen start crowing?
Thanks for chiming in, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with 4/12 golden sebright crower girls.

I kept a hen only flock for about 4 years, bantams (Silkie and Cochins), and LF, all breeds, and never ever had a hen crow.

My rooster, however, does so frequently.

LofMc

Last edited:
I've never had a hen crow but did have one that would make kind of a honking sound which she quit once I got another roo.

I had a hen who would challenge our young roo. Once she had a sickly crow. Later I sold several hens, and I happenedto so just went to the veterinarian. He called me a few days later and told me that she was a hermaphrodite. He had examined her and she had both male and female parts. I also realized that I had never notice whether she actually
laid eggs or not. He said that that was a very rare condition.

That's interesting, MsRiderUp, I know my crowers were producing eggs but never thought to look for male parts. I will do that if I have to process another one. The latest crower seems to have quit after a couple days so maybe I won't need to cull her, fingers crossed.

Thank you all for confirming that this is a relatively rare occurrence. I'm thinking that my bad luck comes from having an entire flock of sebrights, they seem kind of on the gamey end of the spectrum. Can't wait for my chicks in spring!

I have 2 roosters. But had a hen crow on one occasion when she was very upset. She crowed for several minutes.

Back
Top Bottom