Couldnt wait...*pics* Any idea what we are?

The Gold'n Plump Chicken farm uses hulls from the plant DH works at as bedding for thier commercial birds. Hulls have oil from the seed in them that keeps them from sticking to fur, hair, or feathers so they are a cleaner bedding, and they absorb moisture from waste to babies stay dryer between changings of bedding. A lot of the dairy farms around here use them for bedding as well.

Gosh, that is SO interesting! I'd never heard this before!!! They are absorbent? I can't imagine they would be, but you'd know since you use them! What an excellent re-use of them, plus, they'd be biodegradable once you remove them! Awesome!
thumbsup.gif

Gosh, you're so lucky to have a good resource for them! Is the plant hiring? My DH lost his job in December, maybe I'll send him over! HA!

LOL its really not a bad place to work at all, but they have been cutting jobs left and right here too. Sorry! DH and his younger brother have been there for 15 years so are fairly safe from the axe, but all the newbies got cut, and all the senior employees are doing doubles now (Im not sure how that saves any money when they pay out overtime due to the doubles...oh well)

They don't have to pay out benefits (like insurance, which is expensive) twice. I think that probably saves a bundle, and apparently more than what the OT would cost them. Sigh...yes, it's very bad out there now. I'm blessed in that I have a job with benefits...thought I don't make NEARLY what DH did, at least we have SOME income. Hopefully, things will turn around soon!

Anyway, good luck with your babies!!

Looks like the one with the brown heads could be Golden Laced Sebrights.

Once your chicks are older, I have heard that the oils in sunflower seeds are good for the feathers and makes them nice and shiny
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom