Countdown till tomorrow's launch! Predator proof?

jstlitlome

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Missouri
Finally! After 7 weeks and lots of cold weather, my chickies go to the coop tomorrow!

Do these latches seem predator proof to you? I am securing them with d-rings. I don't like the idea of having to use a combination or a key in case I need someone else to do it for me.

I'll be tweaking the coop all day, so I'm sure I'll have many more questions. I'll post complete pics later. It's far from perfect, but figuring it out as I go! :)

That's exactly what I use on all doors, hatches, etc. I've never had a problem and they are very easy to manuver with one hand if I'm carrying water or feed in the other. They never freeze up in the wintertime either. Make sure to buy the sturdy ones, not the cheap "keychain" type. They're also useful when you need to raise or lower a bucket or feeder, just add or subtract links.

Good, that's a relief, I was wondering if a raccoon might be smart enough to figure it out. The back doors and the slide up chicken doors will probably be a good deterrence by themselves, but the egg door is just a simple drop down.

Thanks for the replies. I'll sleep better now!

Leslie

That's exactly what I use on all doors, hatches, etc. I've never had a problem and they are very easy to manuver with one hand if I'm carrying water or feed in the other. They never freeze up in the wintertime either. Make sure to buy the sturdy ones, not the cheap "keychain" type. They're also useful when you need to raise or lower a bucket or feeder, just add or subtract links.
good info right here.x2

Back
Top Bottom